MUA needed

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I had my left tkr on 5th March and my rom has been stuck at 45 for the last 7 weeks despite physio, exercises and ice and elevating.  My physio told me today to contact my consultant as she is 99% certain I need an MUA.  I cannot get an appointment with him until mid August and his secretary says I will probably have to wait until sept or October to have an MUA as his lists are full.  ( nhs)  my knee is still very swollen and painful.   Can anyone tell me there MUA experience please, in particular the level of pain after and how long it takes to get mobile again.   I wanted to book a vacation to Spain this summer but my knee won’t bend enough to sit on a plane seat.  I also want to fly to Australia for Xmas this year to be with my family but am unsure of how long post MUA recovery is.  Feeling really fed up so hoping someone can tell it me like it is and not pull any punches,  cheers k

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I had the manipulation on my right knee after bilateral tkr 2 years ago. Now I have 130 bend. It’s worth it to get it. Can you ever go to a swimming pool and workout in the water? That was a game changer for me.  Sorrybtou are having fun these issues.
    • Posted

Hi Jen thanks for responding, good to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel.  I have hydrotherapy once a week and go to local pool a further two times a week.  It helps my hips but my knee is stuck firmly x
  • Posted

hi!  I had bilateral TKR in January.   I had to have a manipulation done on one of the knees 3 weeks ago.  The scar tissue had built up and after 5 months I wasn't  bending past 75.  It went very well.  Within a few days it was able to bend at 90 and over and I had no pain just swelling.  With ice and advil everything is improving.  I must admit there is still swelling going on, but the doctor informed me just today that it will go away.  He shouldn't have you waiting all that time to do the MUA.  There is a window of time that makes it more successful. I just about made mine.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks Nancy this gives me hope.  I had my right knee tkr October 2018 had a 90 bend at 5 weeks but it took 14 months for the swelling to go.   Take care x
  • Posted

I had my MUA 12 weeks after my TKR and I am now 19 weeks post TKR.  I was told by my doctor that after the MUA for the following 2 weeks, my job was going to PT everyday and to do my ROM exercises every couple of hours but nothing else, no walking, no strength exercises nothing that might would cause swelling.  I was -5/100 before MUA , the doctor got me to 0/125.  Right after that I was in PT and they could only get 0/120, the next day I was at 0/105, the next day I was 0/110 and worked my way back to 0/120.    Now I am at 0/125 and working on 0/130.   Feeling great and doing more than I could do a year before the knee surgery.  

For me (and everyone is different) I had no more pain, my swelling decreased and after my two week period of rest I was much more mobile than I was before the MUA because of my bend.  

So for me the MUA recovery was only two weeks and it was easy.  But again remember that everyone is very different in their recovery. If your problems are caused by weak muscles or tight muscles it will not be the same as my recover which was scar tissue.   I know someone that had a MUA but because of tight muscles he still doesn't have good mobility.  

• Posted

Hi Kerrie I had a tkr last year and about 7 or 8 weeks later I had to get a MUA it was a little sore after but it made such a difference after about 4 to 6 more weeks of therapy I felt great you can walk right after and the pain was not as bad as I thought just stick with therapy after. I’m one year in and I feel great but trust me before then I thought it was the worst decision I ever made but definitely get the MUA I made a world of difference 
    • Posted

Thanks Tam I’m so glad your on the right side of it now.  ☀️
  • Posted

Insist. And phone again. A professional involved in your care has advised you you need to see a surgeon. If you cannot see the one that did the op, then see another for advice. You may need to pester a bit. Was it the surgeons dedicated personal assistant you spoke to or a more general outpatients member of staff? They may not have understood the importance of you seeing the surgeon sooner.

Keep at it. If you cannot see the same surgeon, an opinion from another is still better than leaving it. If they agree, there will be more chance of a prompt MUA if that is necessary.

• Posted

Hi Jenny the nhs here in the north west of England is very short of orthopaedic surgeons.  I tried but it would take me even longer to get a new consultant. I have really tried and exhausted that route.   It was his personal secretary I spoke to who is really trying to get me an earlier appointment.  She has just called me to say she has a meeting with him this afternoon and she will put my case forward however he will be away on leave for most of July hence the long wait so I just have to wait and see.  X
    • Posted

That sounds good...I would have thought they would slot you in...hopefully may be seen sooner.. Sending good wishes!
  • Posted

Hello Kerrie,

?I know how disappointed you feel, believe me. I had my tkr done in August 16, and I did all the exercises  that I was told to do religiously, and still after 3 months I needed a MUA, I couldn't bend it as I thought I would have been able to. I go swimming etc and exercise as much as I can.

?I had the MUA done in  November 16 and the surgeon said that he had bent it to around 120, which I thought would have been more.The operation didn't hurt much at all and the pain after was no different to before,( just achy)but I continued to try to bend ( and still am) and can only get to about 110 even now and that's pushing it.

?I think that once the healing process has started and the scar tissues knits together,then there is very little that can be done.

Everyone is different so don't loose hope.

I hope you get on okay

Dawn

• Posted

Thanks  Dawn it gives me hope.   My knee was badly damaged before the tkr and I only had 90 rom so I’d be more than happy to get it back to 90.  At least then I’d be able to sit comfortable on a plane.  Take care x
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you are having problems with your ROM. I had TKR on Feb 5, 2018 and MUA on May 4, 2018, at 12 weeks, which is considered to be within the window of opportunity. I was hesitant to have it as my range of motion was somewhat normal around 110 before MUA . The MUA was easier than I anticipated. I woke up in a lot more pain but it dissipated within a few hours back to my regular pain level.... I was able to drive myself to physical therapy later that same day (which I was told is the normal routine)  after MUA. After MUA now my range of motion is 122. I had the procedure because the doctor thought scar tissue was causing the very tight sensation I was experiencing on both sides of my knee. The longer I walked on the knee/leg the tighter the sensation got as though someone was tightening screw on each side. That area o tightness has since gone away but now I get tightness on both sides at the bottom of my knee where the knee connects to my leg. My hope is that this too shall dissipate over time. I must say I am glad that I had the manipulation as opposed to not having it. I do notice that my ROM can fluctuate depending on my level of activity. I hope this helps you. It's a journey that I'm glad to have others on to share their experiences.  

• Posted

Hi Lady thanks for your message 😀 good to know it’s worked well for you,  I can’t even get an appointment to see my surgeon until August so god knows when il get the MUA I’ve tried changing surgeons but would have to wait even longer.  I had my right knee tkr October 16 and only have 95 rom in that but I can cope fine with that.  I’m just going to pester my surgeon until he sorts something out lol xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.