MUA so painful

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, some of you may have seen earlier posts over the last few weeks. I had a TKR on the 29th November and then last Tuesday I had an MUA. The bend on my knee before the MUA was around 70 deg. According to my notes, the surgeon acheived a bend of 120 deg during the procedure. I managed to maintain a bend of 90 deg and spent 15 hours straight on a CPM machine. Now that I am home I'm finding it difficult to keep the bend again. it is so painful, possibly worse than the TKR, I am taking loads of painkillers including Tramadol and Morphine but I am still struggling. Anyone else had this done? I am concerned that I am going to end up exactly where I started and its really beginning to get me down.

Thanks, Alison.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

oh alison im so sorry that you are in sooo much pain, its early days ice it loads and get physio A.S.A.P. IF YOU CAN .anti inflamatory is really needed to help with the pain at least 90mg keep us posted
    • Posted

Thankyou Linda. have an assessment for physio on Monday, so hopefully they will come up with something constructive!
  • Posted

The first thing that came to my mind when reading you're taking 'loads of painkillers' is that you should really take steps now to prevent becoming totally impacted and constipated. Take 2 Senokot or something strong, otherwise you're going to be totally miserable. You probably have a lot of swelling after the MUA. Do yourself a favor and just keep it elevated high on a pillow and keep it cold. Settle down and don't stress about the bend yet, you'll get there once the swelling comes down. The painkillers you're loading up with are only helping block the pain receptors in your brain, they are not helping to diminish or decrease the swelling. For that you should be taking non-prescription NSAID's like Ibuprophen, Acetaminophen, or Aleve. While you're relatively comfortable, try some mild exercises, even lifting your leg a few inches or rotating your ankles. You should know that movement of the muscles in your feet, calves and ankles is also helping to distribute and relief swelling. Be patient, it will come.
    • Posted

Thanks Jemma. Was constipated but ok now. suffered terribly when I had my tkr so learnt me lesson not to let it happen again! Im keeping it moving as I am frightened to death it will stiffen up like before and I really dont want to go through any of this again!!
  • Posted

I'm so sorry Alison that the MUA was not a lot more successful and Irving you a lot of pain.  Do some exercise to keep it moving, but rest, elevate and ice.

the best thing I have done since getting home to Cyprus is getting an excellent Physiotherapist.  

She he works so hard with me.  I am with her got an hour, it costs me €35 and worth every penny of that.  She does a lot of manipulation/massage on my knee which can be painful, but when she is finished the movement I get is brilliant.  She then does a lot of e ercises with me and I get my exercise sheet to follow at home.  I've had 3 sessions with her so far.  In just over a week the difference has been unbelievable.  She is really concentrating on getting the leg straight as she says that is the most important thing.  My bend is now about 120 from 70 on 17 December so I am not worried about the bend as that will improve.  This lady worked with the British Olympic teams for a long number of years so she knows her stuff.

i would definitely recommend trying to find an excellent Physio, well worth whatever you have to pay as it could make the difference between getting back to a normal walk or not.

good luck.

liz

• Posted

liz you did well to get a great physio for 35 euro !! here you wouldnt get it for less than 60 euro !!.   120 bend !! id smother my mother for that bend lol ,well done and yes she is right straightening is soooo important

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.