Multiple symptoms.. Not sure if this could be IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

38/M without a history of any major health issues. Non Smoker, Occasional drinker, moderate cardio multiple times a week at the gym.

About six weeks ago all the sudden I ran into issues with sleeping because my heartbeat became very prominent (not racing) in my chest, head, neck.  It woke me up constantly, as it was quite an annoyance, but it wasn't really painful.  Became fairly tired in the day assuming poor sleep at night.

A few nights of this and then I started also having mild stomach pains and intestine pains in various parts of my abdomen and felt a lot of “gassy processing”, bloating and full feeling (even with little or no food at dinnertime).  My appetite quickly died down and I started to have bowel issues where I was constipated and what did come out just “loose”.  This may be related to stopping my morning coffee thinking caffeine had something to do with my prominent heartbeat; starting caffeine again made me regular again.  About this time I started noticing weak/achy knees wrists.  

Went out of town for Memorial Day, still had little appetite, and after a few heavy carb meals (I ate small portions), I ended up with some sharp burning reflux that required mylanta/pepto.  Those same nights I ended up waking up with cold shakes in the middle of the night.  After this weekend, I actually started feeling better and had a good week (figuring this was over with). Though my joints occasionally bothered me.

After the good week, started back with feeling heartbeat AND stomach discomforts again, especially overnight and in the morning..  This time I started having more muscle and joint pain (arthritic type pain) in the morning.  I also started to have dizzy/tingling spells in my head/neck in the morning and increasing tiredness.  The arthritic pains have now progressed into most of my joints including hands, ankles elbows, etc.

So at this point, I still am having some level of constant stomach & intestine discomfort / heartbeat prominence and really affected by mostly achy joints / exhaustion. 

I’m not sure exactly what is going on, but I’m fairly miserable and barely able to function some days.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi:  This has been going on for 6 weeks and you haven't seen a physician?  My advise -- go to the doctor; especially since you have prominent heart beats and achy joints with exhaustion.  Don't fool around with your health.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Go see a doctor.. ..

Do let us know your findings..

I have had and have all of the symptoms you have its freeky..

I went various tests and it's stress related ibs with anxiety

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Some of your symptoms could be IBS.  Fatigue and joint pain can be IBS related.  If you are feeling stressed, this may affect your heart beat. See your doctor.  I went to see my doctor affter two weeks of solid stomach pain, on off nausea and constipation.  After three and a half months of panic, I was finally diagnosed with IBS.  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Week 1 I went to my PCP.  He looked at me like he was crazy, but I did have blood drawn as the doctor wanted to check my Throid levels (which were normal).  Week 2 returned as still showing symptoms and the same doctor told me to try a different antacid (not the reply I was hoping for).  Using an online portal to talk with the doctor, I have requested multiple times for more extensive bloodwork to be done just to see if anything is off, which he doesn't want to do multiple times (yet he was quick to OK prescribing me anti-anxiety meds - something I want to avoid actually).  In the mean time I found an open GI doctor and saw him, and of course I felt he was the same opinion to try cutting out certain foods and to try a different antacid.  I have an appt tomorrow with a new PCP and hopefully at least I can get some basic bloodwork done...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Cutting out certain foods and changing your antacid is still helpful advice. The doctor is doing this as a preliminary diagnostic technique.  Try doing these things and if you find your symptoms improve or go away, then you will have no need of blood tests which can cause anxiety and be done badly.  I had a botched blood test and it led to permanent pain and IBS,  if diet and medication change don't help, then have the blood tests.

Doctors usually only order tests if they cannot diagnose you from your symptoms alone. 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up