Mum has very bad COPD - I'm unsure at what stage we are at

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

My Mum was diagnosed with COPD years ago and it has got worse over the last year. She has had multiple chest x-rays this year and they have all shown worsening of the lungs.

She has been in and out of hospital multiple times as well due to her oxygen levels being very low.

She is currently in hospital now as she has a blood clots that they are trying to sort out. She is on oxygen and the mask says 24%.

I'm just really not sure where we are at, and whenever she goes into hospital I'm worried sick that this is the last time and she won't come out. She is being pumped full of antibiotics and other things to help with the blood clots.

I feel she needs oxygen at home but unfortunately she still smokes so she obviously isn't allowed it. She won't give up either, trust me I've tried to encourage her to and to be fair the nurses say that the damage is already done, it won't really help giving up now apart from her being able to have oxygen at home.

What does the 24% oxygen mask mean? Also, where it is plugged into the wall it's on 4ml, I'm just so confused as to what it means.

Thanks in advance for any answer they would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about your Mum cyrie, it would be best if you spoke to your Mum's hospital consultant about her care and aftercare when she gets home.  If you want to speak to someone quickly today maybe you could ring the British Lung Foundation Helpline.  The contact telephone number is on their website.

Hope you get some answers soon.

• Posted

Hi

Thank you for replying. I have spoken to them but they don't give much information, they say it's difficult to tell where she is at, as things can differ from day to day. I guess it is just take each day as it comes and deal with the situations as they arise. It's just hard when she is so stubborn and set in her ways and will not accept outside help to come in for meals etc.

• Posted

If you put COPD Carers forum in the search engine followed by UK or whatever country you reside you may get to other carers experiencing the same problem you are with your Mum.

As I said above, its your Mum's docs you need to speak to about the situation really but BLF can give you a few more pointers too.

All the best

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.