Muscle Tightness

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

had a knee replacement almost 8 months ago and overall, I regard the operation as a success. I can walk long distances pain free and I have a good range of movement in my knee.

My concern is that I still suffer from tighness in my muscles around my knee. Some days are better than others and I just wonder whether anyone has any helpful advice or tips for getting rid of this.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'm too suffering the same and I've just had a couple of private physio sessions. The answer is building up those muscles with set varied exercise especially on your quad muscles. Have a look online for post tkr exercise for quads,also combine with squats and stretches and ice regular.I was told it will take a couple of months building it up but I should notice a difference. Good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi,

thanks for your reply. It is nice to find someone who is at the same stage and suffering from the same issues.

I also went to a physiotherapist and she said exactly the same thing which is reassuring. I did do the exercises for a while but I have become quite fed up with doing them recently, as there seems to be little progress but maybe I should continue with them for a while longer.

Hope that you see some improvement soon. Keep in touch.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not yet. I'm 7 weeks post op and am still struggling with the pain and discomfort. I'm glad yours is a success. I hope mine will be as well.

It's been surreal the last 7 weeks

Knocked me for six.

Slowly I can feel a lift in the recovery.

I'm ok in the day now. It's just nighttime I can't handle.

It's like a slow torture. Can feel the prosthetic through my skin.

Also around 6am I involuntarily stretch my leg - can't help it - it just happens and it seems like I'm pulling a muscle.

Happy days!!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Amen to thtat is has been two months...I feel a bit of relief...and my husband can say that I been sleeping better...I still get thigh pain along the side of knee and hip pain is the t band so I need to stretch..it but it will get better....I did suffer quite enough
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Christine, I've had a lot of experience with my knee's, for me the best thing I've done for my knee's is to keep moving. I have found that when I slow down my knee's seem to get stiff I don't know if its from scar tissue or what, I have several revisions and the surgeon has said that he found a lot of scar tissue throughout the joint, on the 5th of May I'm having quadricep tendon repaired, its on my left knee, I've been having trouble with my left knee ever since having a revision of my TKR 18 months ago my knee has been swelled and stiff and hot to the touch, since getting my knee replaced 18 months ago I've had 4 hip revisions on the left side due to infection's and the components being loose all the time they were fixing my left hip and taking care of the infection I was telling my Dr my left knee hurt worse than what they were fixing. After having spinal fusion this last December I kept telling my surgeon my knee was bad so he decided to do a MRI on my left knee the MRI showed a severely damaged and torn quadricep tendon, so I've been walking on my left leg with it being in bad shape, I'm a little worried about having surgery because its said that for the best results to repair the quadricep within the first month of the damage its been 18 months but at least when he is in there fixing the tendon he can see if there is scar tissue inside the knee joint, I went a long way around to tell you that knee's can be very hard to figure out, don't give up looking for the problem even if it means finding a new Dr. Well good luck with your new knee. God bless. Mark
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up