My 15 yr old feels so ill all the time, what can I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hu, my son has been feeling tired due to his recently diagnosed acid reflux condition!He has a constant sor throat and pain in his tummy. He feels every day is the same...He vomits every morning, he's underweight and he's in constant pain.

He was prescribed anti-histamines in the spring as the nurse thought the symptoms could have been due to hayfever? We then went to visit the doctor again and my son was prescribed oral thrush medicine, which initially gave him some relief.However once he had completed the medicine he started to feel ill once again!He was prescribed Zantac just over two weeks ago for Acid Reflux as of yet to no avail and I have also bought him a combined vitamin/mineral supplement beacause I'm so concerned for him.

His bloods and throat swab came back satisfactory so I feel an endoscopy may be the next request? He was severly bullied a year and a half ago resulting in him suffering from early stages of Anorexia. I'm concerned that the anxiety and poor nutrition has compromised his immune system?

If anyone could shed some light on our distressing situation I would be so grateful.

Worried mum Emmax

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emmax, does he have these symptoms: Mild hoarseness upon waking, Sensation of a lump in the throat, Need to clear the throat (especially after eating), Sensation of mucous sticking in the throat and/or post-nasal drip, Chronic cough, Difficulty swallowing outside of pain from sore throat? Does he feel at night his mouth is creating lots of saliva?
  • Posted

Dear Emmax, my daughter also felt nausea day and night, hardly eating same as your son. I took her to a gastro dr. and he did an endoscopy. she has an ulcer and also has damage due to the prolonged symstoms since chilhood. Medical ignance and negligence on my part.

She recent me for not taking her to a gastro dr. before. She is 14 year old.

Dr prescribe Omeprazole (PPI) and Carafate. She got releif the second day on treatment. We also followed Innes diet of low acid food for 10 days.

Please involve your son with his recovery, let him read the diet, search for alkaline food, to make a list, to shop and follow the diet and progress.

Think of ways to minimize anxiety, (help him his his task, talk about everything that goes during the day. Wish you both the best.

• Posted

A lot of this could be stress related.  Is there any way you can home school him for a while, to get his stress levels back to normal?  I so wish my parents would have done this for me.  It would have helped me tremendously at one point.  Not permanently--just for a while, when one particular child was bullying terribly.  

Perhaps you could try mastic gum pills in case he has h pylori, it can help eraticate it. It won't do harm in any event.  Be sure to get tested for celiac too.  But an endoscopy is definitely in order.    That will tell you one way or another.  Poor little guy!  Another thing you can do is try having him do guided imagery, yoga and meditation--this can help with the stress a lot.  It's extremely hard for young people to do this though.  I had to pay/bribe my little one every time she did it, because she didn't want to, but eventually, she started liking it.  Also, if you can find some positive kids or activities for your son that he likes, feels successful with and can find some confidence with, that might help a lot. Then also, try an elimination diet.  It sounds like he might have serious food intolerances.  All the best!!!

• Posted

Have you thought of having him checked for gluten intolerance? You would be stunned at the amount of digestive distress gluten grains cause. Unfortunately the tests can be unreliable. Following a trial gluten and dairy free diet might give you an idea if he feels better on that. best of luck.
  • Posted

Thankyou all for your replies, I really appreciate your opinions.

I have been told by doctors to keep him on Zantac for 4 more weeks and if no improvement they will refer him to E.N.T.

I have also started him on Aloe gel each a.m. As it's fab for inflammation. I take it every morning and it relieves the symptoms of my Asthma tremendously. Xx

• Posted

Asthma can also be caused by gluten. There are at least 300 symptoms and conditions that can be caused by gluten. This information comes from the Celiac Disease Centre of The University of Chicago. You do not have to have full blown celiac disease to be affected by gluten.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up