My 18 year old son

Posted , 5 users are following.

My 18 year old son developed anxiety in April and we have not been able to get him back to his normal yet.  We have taken him to his dr and he has tried 3 meds, first zoloft, next lexapro, and now cymbalta.  He is also going to therapy and he also sees an OT who is working on eye tracking skills among other things.   

He gets through his days, but he is so worried that he forgets things and can't concentrate.  He has had a couple of meltdowns due to being so frustrated and worried.  He overthinks things like death and our existence.  

We are not sure what else to do with him to help.

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

i am so sorry to hear this; it must be so hard for you to see your son suffer; i am on cymbalta and it helps me with my depression and anxiety; worrying so much; how long has he been on cymbalta? just being there for him and reminding him you love him and this is just a state of mind; it can change for the better; very stressful situations trigger it; is he seeing a psychiatrist or just a general practitioner...biofeedback therapy can help
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My son has not really given one medication much time to work before saying it wasn't working or he didn't like how it made him feel.  He has only been on the cymbalta since July 2.  My husband and I are so relieved that he talks with us and tells us his feelings.  We have had many heart to heart chats and we have assured him we will always be there for him and we will get hime through this.  He is seeing a therapist but has only had two sessions so far.  I plan to call a psychologist today and get him in.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I appreciate the time you took to reply.  I hope your anxiety improves.  I too have it and it is such a difficult thing to deal with.  
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm sorry that your son feels this way, it's awful to be scared all the time! Is he in school/university or working? 

Do you know what may have caused his anxiety in the first place?

That seems like a lot of different medications to try in only three months! Most medications for anxiety take up to 6-8 weeks to properly work after the side effects ease off, so maybe he wasn't on them for long enough. 

What kind of therapy is your son having? CBT, CAT and exposure therapy are good for anxiety (but obviously not effective for everyone). The only thing I haven't tried is hypnotherapy, which I'll be starting on Monday. It sounds a bit wishy washy, but I've heard it's good! 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  He had an issue in his high school that caused him to have to be suspended for five days.  He was standing up to a homophobic person.  He really struggled with the idea that he was punished for doing what he thought was right.  He also struggles with changes and I think graduating from high school was another trigger.  

He does not like how the medication makes him feel so he keeps telling his dr and then the dr changes it.  I am very hopeful that he gives this cymbalta a chance.  He sees a therapist to talk, but that is it.  I am going to take him to a psychologist asap.  

Thanks so much for your help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, he should try and stay on one medication for around two months. 

Definitely look into different forms of therapy (your GP can advise you) as therapy treats the root cause, where as medication just covers up the symptoms. I really hope he starts to feel better soon! 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up