My 78 year old mums knee

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had a TKR about 12 weeks ago but my mum has suddenly deteriorated in her mobility and says her knees feel like there's a bubble behind one and they give way.  She has trouble standing up and going down steps. The doc is sending her for MRI. Any ideas? I've been so thankful for this forum during my recovery I just wondered if anyone had this type of problem. She has no pain to speak of just very unstable and doddery. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine, the bubble behind your Mum's knee sounds very much like a Baker's cyst. Not actually a cyst, but a sac behind the knee which, when suffering with arthritis, fills up with fluid. It's not painful usually, unless it bursts, then there is a lot of pain going down the back of the leg which can last for days. There's not much a doc can do, apart from draining it, but there is a strong possibility that it might come back.

I had a very large one before my tkr 4 months ago, the surgeon drained it during the op, but it was back in no time, and now is smaller, but a lot harder, and feels like he left a marble behind before stitching me up. I don't see him again until next month, so not sure what he can do. However, it is causing discomfort this time when I try to bend my leg as far as I want, and I do find my leg buckles on occasion.

I could be completely wrong, Elaine, but that's the only experience I've had with lumps behind the knee, and Baker's cysts are fairly common I understand. At your Mum's age, I can understand her being unstable, even arthritis is enough to cause that, without the lump.

Wish her luck with the MRI, and let us know the results - it might help others.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

Tha a Denise that's what I thought I hope it is that as she's seen my experience of TKR and is understandably scared as she's got a phobia of doctors dentists and the like.  If they can drain it it might might improve her quality of life.  X
  • Posted

yes it does sound like bakers cyst, my sister has one, she's only 52, and in a worse state than me, her knees give way, both, very dangerous, they say they don't do anything for the cyst as it usually goes of its own accord ones knee is sorted, my sister is seeing reumatolagist oh dear excuse spelling, it's way to early,lol.  Monday ( tomorrow in fact) she's only been waiting 4months, its ridiculous, she has it everywhere, poor love, sounds like your mum needs, to be seen, maybe quite a bit quicker though. I have to say though my sister is in a lot of pain with her bakers cyst, so may be that isn't what your mum has.
    • Posted

I had a Baker's cyst for years behind my knee. . quite big . . and it never caused pain, so it obviously depneds on what it is interfering with.  since the TKR it hasn't come back, thank heavens. . hope it doesn't!

• Posted

Thanks Mandy I hope it does go on its own.  I'll keep you posted.  I find this group a god send. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.