My 8 year old seems depressed and hair is very dry n brittle

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my name is Rita and my 8 year old daughter Ali was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when she was born. I'm new to the group and wanted to know if any one else here have children with the same disease. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can to better help and understand her. She's been going through a lot of mood swings and she seems extra tired lately I usually can tell when her thyroid is acting up she changes. Right now we are also dealing with dry brittle hair and hair loss. Anyone have any tips to help with the hair loss n dry hair...thank you..

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You are on the wrong Board.  This Board is for HYPERthyroidism.  Your daughter is HYPOthyroid.
    • Posted

I'm sorry didn't realize I posted in the wrong site. Thank you.

• Posted

If you're little girl is losing hair then she is missing things from her body that should surely be replaced .. i.e. Minerals , vitamins and minerals .. and there are plenty of them that will help her so try not to be too worried as help will comes..

Re post your question in HYPOthyroid board ...as Linda suggests ... and loads there will help you

Best of luck to your wee girl

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Rita have you looked into iodine deficiency with your daughter? Regarding the hair I think you can get vitamins specifically for it called biotin? Obviously you'd have to check it was safe for her to use at her age. 😃

• Posted

Thank you yes I do have her on multivitamin hair Skin and nails maybe I just gotta be patient
  • Posted

Hi tita88407

I have a friend who's daughter has the same problem....he makes sure his daughter gets all the b vitamins plus vit c and all other nutrients for wellbeing..also his daughter was going through mood swings and he had her cortisol checked. Cortisol is released from the adrenals..which is all connected to the endocrine system which includes the hypothalmus and thyroid....i would get her cortisol checked as it may be too high or too low..which will cause mood swings......best wishes...

• Posted

Thank you lilian05079 definitely going to look into that greatly appreciate it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.