My anxiety is ruining every aspect of my life.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone. My name is Tyler. 22 year old male. Ive never done a forum before so i hope it'll help me out. Ive struggled with severe anxiety for several years now. My doctor prescribed me Celexa about 5 years ago. It helped and did it's job. I became anxiety free. But last November i quit taking the pills along when i quit smoking cigarettes. Everything was fine. Until last week. I felt like i was hit by a freight train. Hot flashes. Heart palpitations. Headaches and head pressure. Feeling like im going to faint. Difficulty breathing. The whole mine yards. And since then my whole life has been one big anxiety attack. From the time i open my eyes until i fall asleep. Constantly telling myself something is wrong with me. Severe depression. Not eating. Afraid to go into work or school. I feel like im in a haze. Like im not a real person. Concentrating is almost impossible. Its ruining me. On top of the anxiety. Needless to say i started taking my pill again. But still no results. I feel like at any moment i could have a breakdown. Always feeling for the worse with my health. Does anyone have any tips? Or feel the same way?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you really are having a difficult time at the moment. Be kind to yourself and take things slowly. Don't expect too much. Just take one minute, hour, day at a time. It takes a while for the tablets to kick in and sometimes anxiety will increase to begin with (for me I can't manage the side effects so I'm trying to cope without meds). 

I can't say if you will feel worse before you will feel better unfortunately and I don't want to give you any false hope. In my experience it takes to time to get better and sometimes you hit lower and lower before you go back up. 

Try to spend time with people and do things - even if you don't feel like it. Keep a routine. Don't do things hoping you will feel better - do them to keep you busy and you may even find they help occupy your mind. 

Is there someone you can talk to at school? Talking does help. 

Take care 

• Posted

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. 
  • Posted

How long you been back on the medication Tyler? 
    • Posted

Not even a week yet. I had a great day yesterday, but a bad attack this morning at work. The usual. Throbbing in my temple. Feels like my head is going to explode. Feeling disconnected from reality and very fast heart rate. But i did take an Ativan. Very small dose and it settled me down. Im hoping within the next week the Celexa will kick in like it did a year ago. I know i should of never stopped taking it. But hey. What can you do.
  • Posted

Hi Tyler, First of all well done for recognising you had your anxiety back and going back on the medication that worked for you in the past and will work again for you.

Like the posts say they do take time to work and in that time your symptoms may or may not feel any easier to deal with, however they will work for you and you will be anxiety free again.

tips include exercise, keep doing things you normally do or keep a routine as best you can.

If you don't need to work don't but keep going to school but perhaps notify your school welfare nurse.

Concentration difficulties are typical with anxiety, it's something we all experience as are many of your symptoms.

its important you eat, I revert to eating little but often, plenty carbs, eat a banana a day, nibble on things rather than face a huge meal, eat things easy to chew as it's hard work eating anything dry so go for soups, stews, snack on nuts, fruit, raw veg, chocolate even. 

You will feel the results of the pills soon just maybe not sooner than you'd like at the moment. 

Defo speak to your GP about anxiety management until pills kick in, he/she maybe able yo prescribe something to help you through any crisis moments you get whilst you wait for pills to start having therapeutic effect.

You will be fine. N

• Posted

Hiya Tyler, funny you should mention about stopping smoking cigarettes, I stopped smoking in November last year I was fine for a couple of months then boom I felt like crap and the anxiety and panic attacks kicked off I never had any issues with either before I stopped smoking, now the depression and agoraphobia are making an appearance my life is a mess i dont actually have a life I seem 2 be just existing day to day sad xx
    • Posted

Im very sorry. Stay off the cigarettes though. They can cause an imbalance in your brain if your body is sensitive like mine. Consider trying an antidepressant? Get well soon. 
  • Posted

Hi Tyler,

what you describe sounds like withdrawal from your medication. For some people it can be very bad. You need to speak to your doctor about this, because for some meds reinstating it doesn't always work, for others getting back on the medication does work.

so, you need to speak to your doc. Get medication to help with your withdrawal symptoms and then figure out which way you want to go with it. Back to the Celexa, or it desires not to kick in again to another AD. The main thing right now is controlling all your illness and anxiety from the discontinuation. Very important because it's to hard to live with. I'm going through it now with mirtazapine, and it's much easier after getting meds to help me cope with this.

Remember you are NOT going to feel like this forever. This to shall pass...but get the help and if that doctor isn't a help go to the next one. Some doctors don't understand AD withdrawal and can't be helpful. Some get it. I went to three doctor before I found one that helped me, and it's made all the difference in the world.

please post back how you are doing...know I'm sending good thoughts your way. You'll be fine, but get busy calling and finding good help.💛💜💚

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.