My biggest symptom

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does any one else's throat feel like it's closing in/tightening?? I get this feeling most of the time, I worry about it therefore causing panic attacks although I know it's probably only anxiety. But it's a horrible feeling. Any tips on how to ease it?? If only seems to go when I'm sleeping :-(

0 likes, 19 replies

Report / Delete

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey cara I've had that before, just try and take some big deep breaths and listen to music or something and try and distract yourself from concentrating on your breathing. I knew it was anxiety because when I woke up the first few minutes everything was fine and then it started up again.

Take care x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know this well, its troubled me a lot this year, that along with a dry mouth and a feeling of a lump in the throat. So much so my doc sent me to ENT. I had the camera down the throat and everything is totally fine. Its all anxiety related. Try telling yourself that if there was a problem then ure throat would be closing while u slept, the reason it isn't is because u are relaxed. So if u can try deep breathing and counting when u feel it, it can't hurt u, its just a sensation. Its very common, but very distressing I know
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ive had this on and off! Its not pleasant I feel for you. I found deep breathing excercises and tensing my muscles from feet up to head slowly one after the other then releasing seemed to calm me and stop these attacks (part of my CBT) worked for me twice a day for 15 minutes.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

jake12070 makes a good point. My panic attacks started this way over 2 years ago. I jumped out of bed thinking my throat was closing up. It went on like this for months and I wanted to die cos I was so exhausted. All that has passed now and I look bad with a wry smile having learned so much through CBT about the body's symptoms of anxiety and the fear/adrenaline cycle. I later realised that while I was asleep I never choked or anything and that this MUSt be a thought driven process. When I realised that, it started to happen less. A symptom of anxiety is that you may feel a little swelling in the throat but it has never in the history of mankind lead to someone choking. So just watch it come, and watch it go. At worst it's uncomfortable but should remind you to take some time out and relax properly (i.e. not drink booze like most of the population seem to equate relaxation). You'll be fine and as you learn more, the symptoms will decrease. Take care
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks guys. I've tried everything to help my anxiety/panic disorder, meds, reflexology, acupuncture, herbal treatments, and I've had CBT. But nothing works. I've had it for 6 months now and it's ruined my life. I've had to quite my job, and spending of my time in the house. I try to talk myself calm and do the breathing, I've read a load of books too and try to use my CBT teqniques, but nothing makes a difference. But the symptoms in my throat are the worst, and they cause me a lot of panic. For example, on Wednesday just gone I had a dentist appt, I was already very anxious and had throat symptoms, she gave me the anesthetic and as soon as my throat went numb and I couldn't swallow etc I went into serious meltdown. I was shaking like crazy, crying, sweating, the works, hello panic attack. She had to cancel the rest of her morning appts as I couldn't move for nearly 2 hours, so embarrassing. So you see I'm at my wits end. My doctor is sick of the sight of me. Ahhhhhhh...........
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

CBT doesn't work for everyone, I found it to be total garbage, but there are other much more effective forms of therapy. Talking with a psychotherapist will help you get the right therapy, just be sure to tell them that CBT isn't for you
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yeh I listened to what the guy had To say for 6 weeks or so, took it all in and tried to apply it, but it never worked. I'm sure it works for some people but if didn't for me. I'm going to try hypnotherapy next, if that doesn't work then back on the meds. To be honest I would do anything to not feel like this. Have you used medication? I tried citalopram and it was aweful, doc said to come off them so I did and she gave me sertraline instead, but there still sat in my draw as I'm scared to take them, but think I just need to bite the bullet.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No medication just papers over the cracks, for me it doesn't resolve anything- that's not it's for. I use CAT which is Cognitive Analytical Therapy, its so much more effective than CBT
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

CBT is all about trying to avoid negative thinking and replacing negative thoughts with positive ones. Which does work for some. But not everyone. CAT is about looking at the past to find out where the problem patterns started and analysing them and then overcoming them. Its a much more useful way to deal with issues for me
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Well my problems started after getting a tattoo. But I'm not sure if there is anything else underlying. Perhaps I'll mention this  CAT to my Dr when I'm there next. Thank you.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Try to ask for a referral to a physchotherapist first, a general doctor isnt really qualified to discuss mental health issues too much, they prescribe meds (which should really only be done by a phychiatrist), and send people to CBT, they generally arent very well educated on different kinds of therapy
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

No your right there, my doctor just looks at me bemused most of the time, like I'm some sort of alien talking gobbledygook haha, go to laugh. Thank for your help, I'm deffo going to try this route :-)
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up