My body is giving up! I'm too young :( Tendons & ligaments

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys, I really need some inspiration and I feel like my life is crumbling or should I say straining and tearing. I am 22 years old and I'm one of the most active people I know. I was a dancer all my life doing breakdancing and hip hop and in the last 5 years I've found an ever growing love for body building.

Around September last year I done something to my right knee whilst I was on holiday going for a jog, being young and active I continued to train and power through hoping I'd "walk it off" it got to about January, I decided i need to do something about it. My GP just fed me pain killers and said just rest it. I went back 4 more times and still gave me nothing!!!. I then went out on a work night out in february and done something which I don't remember how but I got back home and before I knew it they were both swollen and throbbing at the knees. I have now not trained legs since then.

I think at the beginning I had jumpers knee which then developed into my left and when I was out i done something to my ACL in my right knee.

So that's my knees! To make matters worse... I've now got bicep tendonitis in both shoulders. I must have done this from over training my upper body due to completely stopping training my lower body for almost 4 months. I really am in a bad way, it sounds ridiculous but I've never been depressed and I feel that I'm depressed and I even have suicidal thoughts but I snap out of it immediately.

I'm working my way to get an MRI for my knees cause I know there is multiple problems and it's being rediculousy slow. Yes I admit my knees have improved massively from February but I'm still very far away to being back to where I was. Now this with my shoulders I don't know how to handle this.

I am still down the gym only doing excercises my Physio has given me and many more for both knees and shoulders.

I guess I just need some encouragement, advice, suggestions and success stories. Im young and I know I can overcome this. I'm hoping next year il look back and be incredibly proud to be back on track and learn from my mistakes.

I would very appreciate your comments below thank you.

Rhys

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Oh my! What I have found after TKR is physio can be damaging if overdone. That would include your training. I was overworked to begin with and was never able to get rid of swelling and pain. My mom fell in the shower and I have been out of town for 2 weeks, exercising myself gently. My swelling has gone down. I still ice daily and at night but not overworking/overtraining my knee has benefitted me greatly. I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I know it's harder for you being so young. Just know there uis suffering in many forms by those who have had surgery and those with just injuries. Explore your options with a sports medicine professional. Best of luck. You got this!!!

• Posted

Wow Rhys you are one VERY ACTIVE individual!!! I'm sure being so used to being so active, this situation is a real bummer!! Just take it easy on yourself. Give yourself a break. Don't workout as hard. I think your body is talking to you. Listen! See what MRI says and go from there. You're young!! It will work out. 🙏??

• Posted

For the tendonitis, get some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US).  Second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  I would try that before taking any drugs or getting shots that offer short-term relief at best.  Ease off and let it heal.

Gotta see a sports ortho.  Find a group that works with your local pro and college teams.  They're usually a good bet.  If it's something simple (like meniscus), you could be back on your feet quickly.  At your age, you don't want to screw around and make this worse.  You'll be risking years of future activity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.