My boyfriend and his anxiety around me. help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been going out with my boyfriend for over a year now. Our relationship is perfect and it's been going so well. There's one issue however. He feels sick when he's with me socially and when we drink together? Is it just me or is this normal? When we first started going out he used to get butterflies to the extent where he'd feel almost sick. But I live with him now so that doesn't happen anymore. Just when we go out socially to drink or surrounded by others with me he gets a sicky sensation and won't drink around me or dance with me. I need some advice because he's fine any other time. And it's not social anxiety because if were with others in the day he's completely normal. It's just if it's a night out and were drinking mostly rolleyes

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If he's fine around you, but feeling anxious when he's around lots of people, he may have social anxiety. You say it seems to be generally on a night out/while drinking? Drinking alcohol in a hot, crowded pub with lots of people around me would certainly make me feel awfully sick, and that would be nothing to do with my anxiety! Maybe drink less/go to different places and see if his sick feeling appears. 
  • Posted

Does your boyfriend get those feelings if he doesn't drink alcohol?  If it only comes on when he's had a drink then it could be that he has an intolerance to the ingredients in the alcohol.  Just look up alcohol allergy or alcohol intolerance and you'll see that some of the symptoms incude nausea, stomach cramps, breathlessness and rapid heartbeat (which could be mistaken for anxiety symptoms) as well as other symptoms.   Can you get him to try going without any alcohol for a while and see if he gets the symptoms.
    • Posted

I agree with spindles. May not even be an allergy/intolerance though. Alcohol gives everyone a higher heart rate, and often makes them feel hot, sick and need the toilet as it's a diuretic. Crowded location won't help. 
  • Posted

He doesn't have to belie drinking in order to feel it. I wonder if he has insecurity issues and thinks I'm going to get with someone on a night out or whatever.. But I reassure him that I'm in it for the long run and that he has nothing to worry about rolleyes were going out tonight and I'm just worried it's going to end bad rolleyes
  • Posted

hi kelise i suffer with anxiety myself and i know from experience im ok being out  but i couldnt handle a packed nightclub last time i went to 1 i didnt enjoy it at all i just sat in a chair all evening drinking and wouldnt speak to anyone. try instead of clubs go to a local friendly pub i know myself im fine in pubs with a good atmosphere i can drink and have a good time. i would say its not you it sounds like he loves you very much but as i said from my experiences clubs are a no no especially now my anxiet7y a lot worse i know i couldnt handle it i think i would have a panic attack. hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.