My brother has brain cancer... will he live?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello,

my brother was diagnosed with astrocytoma 2 months ago... last week he had 90 % of the tumor removed and is going to start radiation and chemo next week. he is 30 years old.

i dont really understand the 5 year rate thing... can he be fully healed of this forever? or will it eventually kill him 😦

thanks for your help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Firstly, very sorry to hear of your brother's health issues. If you havent been able to get understandable explanations from the doctors/surgeons, there's a very useful website run by the Brain Tumour Charity - the website address might get blocked by a moderator if I type it in full but starts with www dot, then thebraintumourcharity then ends with dot org. If you type in astrocytoma it will give you some info on the types of this brain tumour, expected treatment and expected survival rates. The five year rate is the record of the percentage of people who have survived treatment for a period of at least five years. No cancer can be guaranteed never to come back but the longer the survival time the better as a general rule of thumb.

• Posted

I too am sorry for your circumstance.

I second Loxie's recommendation to research the tumor. Follow her advice and keep reading up on the tumor from well known university (ie teaching) hospitals.

When you research be sure of the grade f the tumor. Normally the grade is between 1 and 4. That way you'll be reading up on EXACTLY the right tumor.

As Loxie says, the 5 year survival rate means that a certain percentage of patients who underwent treatment are alive 5 years after treatment. But those figures are averages of patients who may be 8 or 80 years old. See if you can find

a) Information on the exact tumor eg your brother has say a Grade 1 Pylocystic Astrocytoma; AND

b) The 5-year rate for folk around his age. This may not be easy to find, but it is useful if you can find it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.