My dad is end of life copd

Posted , 4 users are following.

help.....my dad is at end stage copd, he has been really bad for over 5 years, he is now in a home and of late uphe is sleeping all the time, feet and legs are hugely swollen and his skin is translucent or wax like....as I have been ready to lose him many times over the last few years I'm really desperate to know if we are nearly at the end now? If anyone has any experiences of what to expect at this stage pls? He has another infection 2 wks ago and no antibiotics work anymore. He doesn't really want us to visit anymore as he really can't be bothered...smile

Donna x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

So sorry for you and your dad. I don't have any experience to share but every case is different and you need to talk to the doctor or nurse, they are the only ones who can answer your questions. It was a lovely nurse who told me what to expect in my mum's last illness (not copd).

• Posted

Thankyou, it seems there is limited help and guidance for families in copd for us to know what to expect. I can clearly see a huge decline in the last 6 months sad all so sad and as you say everyone is different. 
  • Posted

Hi Blossom

It sounds as though your dad might be fluid-overloaded. Call the nurse/doctor because this makes breathing and everything much more difficult.

That's all I can say except the obvious: you are a good and loving daughter.

• Posted

Hi there yes he is filling with fluid and declines any water pills as he can't manage to be running to the toilet! It's  just like a ticking time bomb waiting for the phone to ring . I have got ready so many times and he then carries on, only this time he sleeps most of the day and is withdrawing from us and visits are for around ten minutes only sad

• Posted

He would feel SO-O-O much better if he'd take the fluid pills. Get him 5 or 6 urinals, the new ones with that handy flip cap. Don't ask if he'll try them. Buy him at least 4, 2 by his bed & 2 by his favorite chair, set them out in as safe an arrangement as you can make for him and tell him that otherwise he will drown from the fluid build-up, and it's not a fun sensation.

Then walk away, leave the house, even if he's yelling at you. He may still refuse and you'll be out $40 or less ,,, but if you leave him alone so he can save face over the whole "my daughter's tryin' to potty train me" part of it, he may come around. Can't hurt to try. My ex just got upset because I bought him one of those urinals with lid & handy handle, but he's using it ,,, much better than the horrid plastic cups he was using, palsied hands and all, lol

• Posted

I don't visit anyone visiting me when I am feeling poorly either  [cry]   [eek]    [cheesygrin]    [question]   and I am not end stage.

Perhaps arrange with the nurse at the nursing home if its possible for you to be present the next time the doctor visits your Dad.

If your Dad can get over this infection and has some recovery from it he may wish you to visit him again in the future.

• Posted

apologies a copy paste got mixed up in there accidently, please disgregard.redface

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.