My dad is having surgery today -

Posted , 2 users are following.

My dad (71y/o) is having surgery today for a macular hole. He found out only 2 days ago that he would need to do 5 days face-down posture, so he has not had long to prepare. His ophthalmologist did not mention it. I'm worried that sleeping on his tummy will cause major back problems! Even just during the day, constantly holding your neck in the face down position must be very straining? He talked to someone who has had the surgery, he said that hiring a physio table with a hole for the face was not helpful, and it can be better to just prop yourself up with pillows.. 

Has anyone got tips or tricks for sleeping or for just resting during the day with face down? I have read all the threads in here and everyone has been so helpful but I'm just wondering if anyone has any specific tricks that really helped when trying to keep your face down?

My dad also has sinus issues (often congested and gets sinus infections), and has chronic fatigue. So I am really worried that this recovery time will be very hard sad

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I’ve had this surgery a couple years ago.  It helps a lot if you can rent a massage chair with a facedown area to rest.  Of course with any position for a long period of time is very tiring. I sat on the chair modt of he day and change to put my head on my knees or lie face down occasionally.  I slept on the opposite  side of the operated eye.  I hope he’ll recover well.  Take care.  

• Posted

Thank you so much Thev. It helped to have this info. He is doing OK now, didn't get much sleep but the face-down period is almost over. Thanks so much for your reply smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.