My daughter has serious anxiety issues

Posted , 7 users are following.

My 12 year old daughter has serious fears about something terrible happening to either her or the rest of us in the family. In the day time shes not too bad but at nights sobs her heart out and keeps asking me if shes gor anything to worry about.

Shes started seeing a hypnotherapist but its early days to see any improvement.

If anyone has any advice what could be causing this or what i can do for her because she looks such a lost and sad girl at the moment and my heart is breaking for her.

Even today on xmas eve when she should be so excited but just looks so unhappy, where has my happy go lucky little girl gone to

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

sorry to here that . i know a lad that use to say stuff and had fears like that he use to hang around with the wrong crowd wouldnt tell his mum and dad what hes mates were saying to him not saying its happing tour little girl but should ask her if her mates are saying anthing nasty 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Im 15 now an mine has progressed badly from being scared about something I read about silly stuff and I think I pinned it onto this due To stress, hopefully it's early enough to get it sorted because now I am in a vicious circle of constant anxiety all day every day and I'm feeling extremely detached   from my family and myself. It's nice to have reassurance everything is okay and for someone to be there and be understanding and calm about it although you may not be 

Hope she's better soon 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is a sad story to read and my heart goes out to you as a mother and of course to your daughter. I wonder what the trigger for this behaviour has been. She is still very young and impressionable and maybe she has seen something on telly or heard someone talking about something which has upset her. It doesn't even need to be a big thing it could have been something relatively minor which has taken a grip on her thoughts and feeling and being the age she is has developed into anxiety state. It is a worry and hopefully she will return to a happy child before long. Have you spoke to the school or any other friends or family?

Take care and a Merry Christmas.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ive spoken to other family members who are also worried about her. She went through a phase about 5 years ago that she developed an ocd with washing her hands  thinking everything was poisonous but after seeing a therapist did get better but she has recently started high school and wonder if this is the cause. Also back in May she saw her dad have a fit through coughing too much and had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance. so im not sure if this is the trigger to it, but just dont know what to do to get her through it
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think you sound as if you are doing everything you can at the moment with professional help. I also think that you have hit it on the head with her starting high school and the frightening incident with her dad. I am sure through time she will improve and regain her confidence she sounds like a very sensitive girl. Don't give up it might take a while but you will get there. I understand how worried you are.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi 

small kids it's usually the bogeyman and as parents we get rid of it with lights music etc so as a parent it's something that plagues her at night, brainstorm all possibilities 

was she abused now don't get upset this may have happened at a sleep over or she's seen a film or heard about things that happen at night 

maybe when it's dark she feels anxious try lights on warm drinks hot water bottle daft it may seem but very good at re capturing security 

talk to your doctor 

enjoy xmas

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Ive questioned her about being abused and am sure she hasnt as that too was my first fear. I have made an appointment with doctor for after xmas but im afraid our doctors arent exactly helpful so not holding out too much hope on that one.

Thank you to everyone who has responded, i really do appreciate it. merry xmas to you all

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Gillian,

I understand how you feel.  Does anyone else in your family have anxiety issues?  I had an episode after an illness and then a second one many many years later when my youngest daughter informed me that she was having panic attacks and felt very anxious and stressed - it killed me to see her so upset.  Anyway, after a lot of visits to our family doc, who is very good, my daugher was diagnosed with ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder) - I should have figured it out long ago - racing thoughts, difficulty focussing, an anxiety component, etc.  She is on meds for ADHD and has improved immensely.  Still tweaking, but the improvement is substantial.  She was overwhelmed with everything and worried about everything.  Anyway, you are doing the right thing with your daughter and just need to continue doing it.  A behaviour therapist can be really helpful - they work with all the symptoms of anxiety, OCD and ADHD.  Good luck and hang in there!!!!!!!!

Best,

Linda

Hugs

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up