My diverticular disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am new to this site. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis around 8 years ago, I have had around three bouts since then, this one is really bad. I have left sided pain terrible backache nausea and constipation and diahorrea. Does anyone else have these symptoms? Liz

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Mine is low level. Very mild feeling of a stich on left side. Some days / weeks no pain at all. Been like this for approx 2 years. Two flare ups lasting just 60 seconds each in the last month. These co insided with going on Paleo diet / lifesyle. So no meat, chicken, fish and dairy. Just plant foods and fruit. Lost 10 kilos so not sure if this triggered flare ups. Have gone off flax seeds and crushed nuts in diet as Doc says they may have contributed to flare up. Some say they won't. Have also started drinking water before and after dinner so hopfully this helps with smooth stools. Good luck.

• Posted

I was advised not to eat seeds or nuts they get cought up in the diverticula. I loved nuts but haven't had them since last year. So many things I can't eat that I enjoy. Ice cream salad beef lasagne tomatoes tomato soup to name but a few I think I have had DD for years but didn't know what it was

• Posted

Welcome. I do I have it at the moment just ridding through it I am having soup and lots of water for today. I think I ate something yesterday hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

firsy bout was @ 3 months ago. Lower belly pain from hip to hip still there. Annoying when bending or putting on shoes. Still a little bloating and at times increased urination.No other symptoms. Trying to eat right and drink water. Doing yoga and walking. Not eating as many nuts, seeds, or popcorn as I used to. Also trying to cut down on meat. Will eat high fiber cereal every morn and yougurt. Might try a probiotic. Your systems are still messed up and you need to find out whats up. 
    • Posted

When I saw my consultant she just gave me a website for wind not helpful at all. I do take a mabevarin tablet before I eat and a probiotic drink everyday I just think it's me I am afraid of setting a flare of I keep trying to add my usual food back into my diet but it seams to set it off. Are in the U.K. Or USA

• Posted

I am staying in Spain at the moment but I am from the uk, my problem is the language barrier, trying to explain in pigeon Spanish what my symptoms are. I was quite scared a couple of days ago couldn't stand up straight as the pain was so bad, it then eases off and comes back again. I have taken buscopan for the wind but it's not doing much good. My stomach sounds like someone is moving furniture around!!

• Posted

I have them all! It is horrible. Do u take antibiotics? I find a heating pad on my back helps with the pain.
    • Posted

Yes Madeline I do take antibiotics, and as you say the hot pad helps the back pain. It's all so stressful, I feel all I do is take paracetamol for the pain, but that doesn't last long.

• Posted

Have you had Ct scan? Also have you been on n antibiotics? It's a very depressing disease.

• Posted

Yes Madeline I have had a CT scana few years ago now, and antibiotics. I am now feeling much better after a few days back on antibiotics, thank goodness.
    • Posted

If you havent had a colonosvopy l would ask for one when you get home it wil show severity of disease and it will also show any polyps that will be removed
    • Posted

Hi Christine, I have had a colonoscopy last year and everything was ok by the time I had it bad epsisode had passed. I will be in Soain for another couple of years.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.