My doctor dissapeared ... very depressed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am very depressed. My doctor of a year has suddenly taken an unexpected leave from the office and wont be back until November. He will have been gone for 3 months in November. I am upset because he never told me he was leaving, and because he was working with me successfully with my weight loss. Its the first time in years I have been able to be successful with my weight. I lost. 32 pounds so far with him, and was dropping my sugar levels down to normal and my blood pressure has been stabilizing. We were doing great work.

What concerns me is that I feel abandoned as no one in the office is saying what happened.

The office is a group physician office so there are other physicians who can see me, but they dont have the history he has with me or the insights into my particular weight struggles.

I have been very depressed about it.

The office forwarded a card from me to him, so that was nice but he never reached out to me. I guess I didnt really expect he would.

But as the months continue to pass (7 more weeks before he gets back) I feel angrier and more betrayed and abandoned.

I realize there is such a thing as confidentiality. They don't feel they want to tell his patients where he is or why, but its just so odd for him to up and dissapear for so long.

If I KNEW he were recovering from surgery, I could at least feel more assured that he wasnt in jail or rehab or on an extended vacation goofing off.

Argh! Maybe I am being selfish but I feel so distressed that my weight loss progress is going to the toilet and that no one really cares about me anyway.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi , I am sorry to hear that you going through difficult time.

I also have my GP with whom I can talk about anything , when's there to support and help .

I completely understand how u feel.

so I would suggest to wait and book first available app in November .

please see face to face, and do share your feelings and do let him/ her know how this situation affected you, also do ask the reason why he / she was away such a long time.

I sure there is a good reason

do tell your gp that for you to progress in your weight loss is very important communication with him.

I am sure u wl be able to find way around .

best wishe.

• Posted

Hi remember the doctor isn't a friend but a professional and they won't be able to tell you why and where he has gone. My guess would be family problems or stress as doctors have a very high rate of mental health problems coz of their jobs.

Try and see someone else instead. You might find they are very good too. x

• Posted

Hi Melly

So sorry you are having a difficult time. There are many reasons a doctor or anyone for that matter would take several months off on short notice. I hope he is doing ok and will be back in November ready to continue the wonderful work he has been doing for you. When we are having a difficult time of course we want our trusted doctors there for us but they are only human and have lives and families that need attention as well. Try seeing someone in the office in the interim. As someone else suggested get the first available appointment in November. When he returns let him know you felt lost and abandoned and ask how you can deal with those feelings if this happens in the future and how you can get through until you can get in to see him. I know it's difficult, my doctor of over 15 yrs recently retired and it was hard finding a new doctor and starting over. My doctor knew me so well and what worked when I was going through a crisis it will be hard to trust the new ideas of someone else. My old doctor though has taught me to understand my strengths and intuitions and what i need to do to help myself as well. I hope your doctor will help you learn this as well so that you won't feel as helpless in these situations. I wish you well and please see another doctor in the office until your doctor returns. It will only be for a short time. Take care of yourself.

• Posted

a dr is a professional person with a job to do. However why on earth would you expect him to explain where or why he is having time off work?

I understand that you feel comfortable with him and that he understands you. It sounds like you have a very unhealthy relationship with him, bordering on 'stalking'. You say he never reached out to you, why would he? At the end of the day you are just his patient, one of many

• Posted

how can your doctor who youve only being seeing for a year make you feel angry and betrayed. Surely if you feel ill, you wouldnt care which dr you saw.

Would you expect your dentist or any other professional to consult you for permission to go away. As for surgery or jail making you feel easier, words fail me.

It is nothing to do with you.

After reading your post several times, its starting to feel 'trip trap over the rickerty bridge' a troll or wind up.

If its for real, sending him cards and asking his staff where he is, him not informing you, the more you continue like this it may well make you see another dr, its not normal this paranoia. If youre ill why would you wait 3 months to see a dr?

• Posted

Melly53 - the good news is that he's coming back. You'll get back into the rhythm with him. Don't tell him off, though - there could be a thousand reasons he's needed this time. Had to laugh when I read "that he wasn't in jail or rehab or on an extended vacation goofing off." I had a counsellor who announced to me one day he had received a job offer that was better, this was his last appointment with me, so long, look after yourself! No referral, no notice. Don't fret - it could be worse.

• Posted

I had to laugh too! about jail and extended vacation and dont tell him off haha

• Posted

you've built that trust up, gosh how awful i know how you feel (not the weight thing) but i have had assault counselling and it stopped suddenly, i felt crushed, tried elsewhere then they pulled out! i felt devastated and very untrusting! i didn't really readjust to talking to the 2nd person and now i have to start again, again! have the service not resorted you a new person to speak to? ask, you never know, you may get someone better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.