My Experience of Counselling in UK

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had decided and spoke with some people on here about coming off off teh forums for a time to focus more and getting thru my own challenges, sort of alone for a bit but it not necessarily big or clever perhaps so quick. I have had 2  counseling session now to try to fix things in my life. It not so much not understanding what I have to do but its the doing of it, at least some of the time. I dont claim to be any veteran when it comes to depression and their are others with more wisdom than me that can explain how things have chnaged for the better or worse with treatment and control of this illness.

I dont want to necessarily share my demons on her, some already know, as it not really relevant as we all have are own challenges. But in just the first two sessions I have learnt that when I explain just one of my challenges and its effects on me that the counsellor isnt just their to tell you how to work around problem, some time some problems have to be just accepted, be that illness or even how a person maybe treating you. This type of counselling is the hardest but perhaps the most rewarding for the counsellor and the patient. Alot of this focus on what your doing now and when the problem is not in the forefront ( ie it not effecting you directly on the day ). i have my third session of 8 on the NHS very soon and whilst it extremely emotional if it draws the pain away I think its worth everyone at least trying it.

I am happy to share experience if anyone wants to take the leap for themselves, equally I am sure in other areas of the UK the counselling might not be as good so maybe its worth put the UK region/County so that we can build a picture, which again may make people think if its worth trying in their area. For those outside UK maybe to involve you we just need to understand your country.

In the UK Mental Health is poorly subsidised and over subscribed so I suspect we all going say the delays are long and the length might not be long enough. 

Im based in East Lancashire, North West England

6 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You have obviously decided that the Counselling route is best for you. Hopefully your doctor suggested it. As you rightly say, some areas are better than others and you need to do your own investigation on the funding and number of sessions available etc. Best of luck. Give us an update now and then. 
  • Posted

Interested to know which countries can compare to quote "In the UK Mental Health is poorly subsidised and over subscribed ".   Though I agree that mental health ailments as opposed to other areas has never really been recognised although it affects most people every day in fact.
    • Posted

Flotsam,

Im guess in alot of other countries it wont be something thats available as easy, but as such didnt want to exclude other from conversation

• Posted

Hey Jimmy, although it sounds as you had to push through alot, totally respect you for going through with the counselling, it sometimes takes a small step to realise you've actually taken a big jump in doing what you can to assist yourself with conditions such as ours. Great to read, Nick smile
    • Posted

Thanks Nick, Although I do think its not for everyone, and it is emotional, everything is worth a try. To many of use want to be able to wave a magic wand and don't give ourselves, the therapies and the medicines time to work. Even I when I started can freely admit that the inpatient and high expectation of been fine like it was say the flu, show the world we live in. I was a perfectionist before the diagnosis but I am slowly having to learn that sometimes it just as good if you know you have done your best rather than it being perfection.

You are one of the non judgementalist on this site/forum. But you can see the is such a spectrum of people all with their own challenges and demons and they all deal with things differently. There is no one person thats more important than the next and even the people that go thru the darkest times for longer periods still get their behinds on here for support and also to give support. The a hardest two thinsg with depression are knowing what is triggering it and then handling how your going to change that feeling, no book can give you the specific answer to your challenges. You as an individual will know where you want to be and what you will compromise on to feel better.

Thanks again Nick, and hope your feeling well yourself cool

• Posted

2nd session was pretty good and in process the same as first. I guess no surprises there but the subject matter obviously changes. It does get hard and very emotional but then I guess that's to be expected I'm not sure at this time I can say much more so I don't really want to repeat myself and bore you guys and girls. I let you know if anything significant happens.
    • Posted

Not boring at all! Good to know it's still positive progress smile Hang in there Jimmy.
  • Posted

Councilling has been spot on for me and whilst its not all fine and dandy i ahve some coping mechanism to get thru some of the most difficult challenges i have ahead. If you can get councilling on NHS give it a a go before you move on to other therapies as you can at least get the demons off your chest and start recovering. I wont kid you talking about some of the most frightening things is hard and emotionally draining. But even with some of the challenges that I cant change with my health and the future I been given methods to cope and fight thru
  • Posted

My councilling finished a few weeks back and it was good to get things off my chest and have some  one to straight tlak to me about the things i can do and the things you have to accept.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.