My experience of fluoxetine

Posted , 2 users are following.

after numerous attempts at different anti-d's + years upon years of depression, my doctor prescribed me fluoxetine 20mg.

for the first 1-2 weeks i felt ok, not happy just ok(which is great for me) i'm in my 3rd/4th week of taking them and well what can i say? i'm all over the place. i actually feel worse now than ever sad

I have no interest or motivaion what so ever in doing anything. i struggle to get up every morning with my son and do day to day things. i've never felt so exhausted in all my life! i can't sleep at night because i have crazy thoughts in my head. and get scared to sleep because of the crazy dreams i have.

I've experienced hair loss, major loss of appetite(lost 1st), nausea, stomach pains, mega heartburn, tiredness(even though i can't sleep!), i had a menstrual bleed mid cycle. and shakes, so bad that people notice. my anxiety and paranoia is 100x worse and i've had more thoughts about dying.

So were do i go from here, are all these side effects from fluo. or have i got something seriously wrong with me? I've tried about 5 different types of anti depressants and numerous attempts at counselling with nothing helping me. i am so lost right now and so fed up of this i just don't know what to do.

My son and husband are being neglected too and i hate it.

an ideas anyone?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you need to go back to your Doc asap. They might tell you to hang on a few weeks to see if it levels out and gets better, but they might give you something for the anxiety (diazapam perhaps?).

It does work its best after 4 weeks and better still after 8 weeks, but if the side effects are worse than the depression it might just not be the drug for you, but I would go back to Doc and try to stick it out for another week and see if it gets better.

Hang in there. x

• Posted

I have taken flu for 12 weeks now and feel much better now. I felt unbelievably tired for the first month and yawned continually. I also had terrible nausea and retching (like morning sickness) until week 5. I also had some headaches, weight loss (half a stone).

I know some people work with it initially but I couldn't - too sleepy! I did have some anxiety too but not enough for any intervention. I felt as though I was in a dream but now am functioning ok apart from work. Hope it works out for you, some say 2 -4 weeks to feel better but I didn't feel any positive effect for 7 weeks so hang in there xxxxxx :wink:

• Posted

Hi iv just started taking flu again im on my 4th tablet today. I had bad depression too at the begining of last year and went on them for a few months. They really helped me. I had a girlfriend who loved and supported me and i moved in with her family who are all so nice to me and i got a new job so i suddenly thought i didnt need them anymore i must be fixed?? so i just stopped taking them in jun/jul ish but by October iv been slipping back again and i knew i should have never come off them i was being silly. I have been moody and grumpy and snappy with her and before xmas eve she broke up with me which totally knocked me. So i had to go back to the dr and hopefully get better again like i was doing. This sickness side affect is horrible im going through just now but i know it goes in a couple of weeks so im just hanging in. This time of year is depressing too which doesnt help and having to spend new years eve was the worst iv been in a long time and thought about taking a overdose again. With no support this time i am worried that i might not get better but i have my fingers crossed i do and them crossed that my girlfriend may one day want me back aswell.

all your posts give me strength and i take heart from it x

Nicki

• Posted

Hi Peanut girl, I am yawning continuosly too! My doc said it was a rare side affect. Yawning without tiredness. Odd but true. Its killing my jaw though!

NOt feeling great atm, think I need to try a higher dose or something. If I change dose will the other side affects come back?

• Posted

Hi again, the yawning thing lasted about a week from memory so not long to put up with it hopefully! I think doctors should go through the massive list of side effects really. I've had lots of them including dodgy tummy, nausea and sicness, headaches, loss of appetite and weight (not good as I am really small as it is and look even worse now). Either anxiety or really bad indigestion - can't work out which but it felt as though I had a golf ball stuck in my chest, horrible.

I would STILL recommend these tablets though, I am feeling almost human again and just need to overcome my work panics now. I have found some of the life coaching sites a help, these may be just girly things but Janey Lee Grace's site is very good, self help/positive thinking books plus gentle counselling have also helped me to think in a different way. Flylady.net is also good for motivation - if a bit Americanised. I'm not in to exercise but have found walking by myself and being outside makes me feel better too. May not help others but I feel a change in me.

One thing doctor strongly advised against is thinking you are \"cured\" and coming off the tablets too soon. She recommended 6 months minimum then reducing slowly over several more with an open mind about going back on them if necessary. We'll see when the time comes. Good luck to all of you, it's not you it's your illness x

• Posted

I have been yawning for over a month on them so I think its something I am stuck with for the duration! My doc advised a year on them. We shall see.

I wish I could totally convince myself its an illness. Might be easier then.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.