My experience of headaches

Posted , 2 users are following.

I started with tension type headaches about three years ago and took  OTC painkillers which did nothing much at all, even co-codamol, however, I became hooked on the co-codamol and persuaded my gp to give me the 30/500 co-codamol.  Initailly it cured the headaches but then they came back and I gradually increased my dosage until I came to a crisis in November 2014 when I overdosed on the co-codamol for sevarl days as the hedaaches were so bad.  Pluckwed up courage and rang my gp who sent me straight to a&e who put me on the pracetamol antidote .  I spent two days there with just ibuoprofen ansd a real bad head along with vomiting and rashes and breathing difficullties.  When I got home I got rid of all my co-codamol and went cold turkey - it was absolutely aweful but in the end I got clean of the painkillers and and after about four weeks all the withdrawal symptoms had gone, along with the headaches.  Obviously, my original headaches had morphed into rebound (painkiller) headaches and having got off the co-co I felt so much better, now I hardly ever get, headaches at all - unless its a hnagover lol!

Just wanted to share my story

xxx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know with my headaches magnesium suppliments have helped. But I'm waiting on more to be shipped to me. I'm planning on going to an urgent care as with my headaches and anxiety I'm freaking out. 
    • Posted

Hi 

Its funny, I'd just read your other post about headaches and was wondering what I could say to help when you replied to my post, thanks :-)  Are you on any meds/painkillers for your headaches?  I don't know anything much about different scans although I did once have one for my headaches (CT?) but it showed nothing.  Its possible that your headaches are a result of your anxiety, it can cause all sorts of symptoms.  I'm bipolar with anxiety and obsessional thinking, more or less junder control now due a successful meds regime which I am very compliant with.  

I've also heard good reports of magnesium sulphate though I've never tried it myself

Have you had any conselling for your anxiety? that can help.  Also, there are lots of different meds for anxiety, not all addictive as I have discovered.  I'm on diazepam 5mg which I just take when it gets bad, trying to reduce it, and also hydroxyzine (a sedating antihistamine) which I got more or less by accident, if you look it up on Wikipediea there is lots of info on it.

Post any time on either thread and I'll reply.

I hope you feel lots better really soon :-)

xxx

• Posted

Pain meds do nothing unfortunately but the magnesium has helped 100% but as soon as I ran out and didn't have the money for more the headaches and such came back. I just want to make sure I don't have a ticking time bomb in there.
    • Posted

Which pain meds have you tried and how much were you taking? Are you in the UK? If so you might be able to Magnesium Suphate on prescription.  Also, check out the labels on mineral water, some of them contain quite a bit of magnesium sulphate and its cheap. As I said, anxiety can cause all sorts of symptoms and headaches included, I think that could be the root cause of your problems.  

xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.