My experience with Citalopram so far.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have been on a 10mg dose of Citalopram for about 7 seven/eight years due to me suffering anxiety where I found I could not go out to family meals, go on holiday or even eat properly. At the time I though life was not worth living.

When I started the first 2 weeks I found very hard to cope as my Anxiety appeared to get worse and I felt very low, but then things began to pick up and a about a month after taking the first dose I remember feel quite at ease with life.

Now seven/eight years on my Anxiety level started to increase mainly linked to a sudden appearance of heart pulputations. I saw my GP a week ago and my citalopram dose was increase 20mg 6 days on I my Anxiety level has gone through the roof to the point where I ended up in A&E after a severe panic attack. After a series of quick tests BP, ECG and blood the A&E doctor assure me that there was nothing wrong with psychically and that may be having a normal initial reaction to the dosage increase which is good to know.

I was wondering if any else has had this type of reaction to Citalopram?

K.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes last month my citalopram was upped from 10mg to 20 mg and my anxiety was horrendous it lasted about 2 weeks I felt like I was going crazy...you should read my post 'feel like I'm going crazy' has loads of advice on their. Take care x

• Posted

Hi.

I have read your post, there are a lot of replies. How are you coping now? I thinking of going back to my GP to talk these side affects through, though I am expecting to be told stick with it.

K

• Posted

I started on 20mg nearly 2 weeks ago but the side affects were bad so my doc told me to go down to 10mg last week. I must admit I was concerned that this dose was to low and wouldn't help, so im pleased to know it worked for you for so long.

I do feel like my worrying had gone through the roof since starting them.

• Posted

Thanks Tar4,

I know how you feel. The side affects of the drug feel worse the when I started having anxiety attacks. Having gone through this seven years ago I am strugging to cope. I am trying to follow the A&E drs advice and hang on to the effects subside, it worked for me the first time, but it's not easy.

K.

• Posted

The maximum I have been on this drug Is 12 months and always 20mg dose. Been on it again for about 1 month now and although mornings are still bad, afternoons and evenings are fine. I have not had the same experience as you. Is there something else which could be causing the anxiety?
    • Posted

Hi,

I do have an underlying problem with anxiety which started many years ago & that is how I ended up on Citalopram but just the 10mg. Then a few weeks ago something kicked off the anxiety again and last week the doctor raised the dose 20mg and things are now a lot worse.

K

• Posted

Hi

I've been getting problems after being pretty much trouble free for 5 years. I'm hoping it may pass as I really don't want to increase my dose. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.