My Fluoxetine Report

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I've decided to post my experience with this drug as I go along, because hopefully it will help me and help you!

Day 1 was yesterday. I took the pill at around 12pm midday and the first few hours were okay but at around 2.30 I started to feel extremely drousy. I fell asleep until about 5.30, when I stood up I felt very very dizzy and the room was blurry. I was okay after this, I was still tired though for the rest of the evening. I went to bed at around 11.30pm and I woke up every 30 minutes...it was so annoying and the night seemed to go on forever. I've just got up - 9.30am, had some toast and taken the next tablet. I still feel lethargic, not feeling at all confident about these pills, cant be bothered to do anything. Good luck

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Day 2 - well where to begin! day 2 was brilliant, I actually felt full of energy and looked awake for a change, I also had no side effects, it was exactly how I wanted to feel.

Day 3 - Today. Not going so well. I feel very very tired and trying to watch a film (The Prestige) but my concentration is rubbish, I cant concentrate on anything and have given up watching it, my girlfriend is frustrated with me asking whats happening, so figured I would leave her to it. Hope somebody out there is reading this!! I feel pretty stupid not being able to concentrate , also feel very tired again. Hope tomorrows better.

• Posted

Hi there Ashley

For some reason all these types of drugs seem to create that same problem of loss of concentration.

While taking citalopram I had to look for programmes to watch that didn't matter if you missed bits of it - so now am quite into things sch as road wars, and other similar programmes as like you I just couldnt watch anything - not even the soaps which are easy viewing! :shock:

I'm just about to start a new AD and expecting that problem to come back as one of the side effects - so back to watching TV but missing it all! :roll:

The concentration is supposed to come back after a few weeks, once your body has accepted and adjusted to the drug.

Hold on in there - I would just love to put all the people going through the side effects of these drugs in one room and see just how many manic conversations we could muster up :shock:

Stay strong - the side effects are supposed to pass.

Melbi xxx

• Posted

Hi Ashley

I hope you're feeling OK?

I remember the first day I took my first 20mg of fluoxetine - i took it in the morning - and was nearly falling asleep driving to work - I really struggled to keep my eyes open.

If you read other posts, a lot of people take their pill at night - as it does make a lot of people drowsy - maybe it'll help you to sleep? I hope so. It may be worth giving it a try.

Although, to be honest with you, fatique and drowsiness for me has been one of the worst side effects - I still struggle with tiredness at work, and whilst driving. At first I wasn't sleeping well like you - but I hadn't slept well for years. But someone said on here that the fluoxetine helps you to calm down, chill, and eventually 'natural' sleep will return. My Dr as well, told me it would take time, but eventually, when I began feeling better, that I would sleep better too - and for the first time in 5 years - I slept like a baby the whole night the night before last - it was so so lovely to wake up at 6am, rather than 2 and 3 and 4.

I think it will take time Ashley - but try and persevere please try to.

You have on here now - and can always go back to your Dr - I would say the first 3 weeks are definitely the worst - and further down the line there will be days when you just feel like giving up still, but Im quite far down the line now, I reckon about 3 months I must have been on them (from wk 2 40mg a day) and I do feel better. Try and take each day at a time, try and pick yourself up yourself too - walking's good, and makes you feel better.

I really hope that you keep at it, and keep posting

Good luck with everything Ashley x

• Posted

Hi Suzie,

Thanks for the reply. Think I am on day 6 now, it is my first day back at work today and I am suffering. I am so exhausted, I took the pill at 10am and I feel ready to go to bed. I am shattered, dry throat etc, feel too ashamed to walk across the room because of how tired I look

• Posted

I've just been put on Oxactin 2 weeks ago. I suffered from depression from 1988 to 1995, every tablet from Imiprimine, Prozac, Seroxat, Diazipam and eventually ECT treatment. I got through it and made a new life.

The side effects are as stated on the packet, but they do nearly all go away.

I managed OK until 5 weeks ago, after a horrendous 15 months where I lost my Mother in Law and Father in law to cancer, both within 7 weeks. Supporting my wife, over work and arguements at work and with my family just slowly ran me down. A Cold Virus and a sinus infrection were the final straw. A really good panic attack and that was it. I hit the wall again. After 13 years it came as a suprise to me, I really thought I had the depression beaten.

Anti depressants do help, but we have to find the root cause of the problems. At least this time I'm not agrophobic yet, I know exactly what is happening, but am having trouble beating the anxiety.

It's the lonliness that is the problem, it's such a personal illness.

regards to you all, Chris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.