My girlfriend says she had depression but I'm not sure I haven't said anything but am scared

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello I've been with my girlfriend for a year now. She's been diagnosed with depression since before we've met. But I've started to notice that she isn't just tired all the time but she's actually sleeping for most of the day. My sister who also suffered from depression says that you don't sleep the whole day when depressed but you just feel really tired. I'm afraid she's been misdiagnosed but I'd like your opinion before I say anything as I know it's a sensitive subject. Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hello! I think its great that you're seeking more opinions. I was diagnosed with depression over a year ago and for me I did feel tired all the time and i also slept all of the time. Depression looks and feels a little different for everyone. Its good you're concerned, but it really does sound like depression to me. Be supportive and maybe try to convince her to go do things with you. good luck!

• Posted

hello! I think its great that you're seeking more opinions. I was diagnosed with depression over a year ago and for me I did feel tired all the time and i also slept all of the time. Depression looks and feels a little different for everyone. Its good you're concerned, but it really does sound like depression to me. Be supportive and maybe try to convince her to go do things with you. good luck!

• Posted

• Posted

hi Michael depression effects different ppl in different ways, what I find with mine is I can't sleep at night but can in the day, I think I understand why that happens to me personally it's a mental illness being that it's controlled by your mind my mind sub consciously knows I'm alone at night I can't really comfortably call someone for help or to talk hence this site is great, so the mind knows the best time for me personally to have most effect it's best to give me insomnia at night time because I'm left alone to ponder on my thoughts whereas in the daytime I could easily or more easily distract myself from the thoughts by going to see friends or going out walking or anything shopping etc night times our loneliest so it works in the illness favour to play with our minds at that time if that makes sense

• Posted

I'm going a similar situation. Everyone expressed their symptoms of depression differently. When my depressed boyfriend is at his low, he sleeps a lot, one time he even slept for 19 hours. Sad part is, we're both really young, and his mom doesn't let him leave the house. In fact, these symptoms can be unique to one person.

• Posted

hi michael, you have to have the back up of all the family she has. have you tried speaking to a family member as they may be able to get her to go better.i wish you luck that sounds tough, i wish you luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.