My GP just told me no one gets tested for t3

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've just been to my GP. I've had hypothyroidism for nearly 30 years, on thyroxine. I have anaemia, high blood pressure, low body temperature, painful swollen legs and can't lose weight, just steadily gain. I asked GP for a t3 blood test and she said that 'no one is tested for t3 levels'. I told her people were prescribed medication for low t3 and she asked how I knew. When I said I'd read about it on the internet, she rolled her eyes and said that 'nobody is prescribed medication for that'. She is Polish and I don't know if it's approached differently there. I'm just fuming as she is not telling the truth. Thinking of going private 😡

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Get another doctor ASAP.  Any responsible doctor will test for at least TSH, T3, and T4. Mine does, every 3 months, it's routine.

• Posted

I understand your frustrations.  My doctor is 87 years old and will not test my Ft3 either, even though I asked several times.  He is just very old fashioned I guess.  Also.. I only have one other choice for an endo in my area and she has all bad reviews.  So.. the only way I'm ever going to be able to get my Ft3 checked is to pay for the blood work privately.  I wish doctors stayed more up to date on treatments and such.. especially in areas they specialize in!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.