My gyn's take on vitamins

Posted , 5 users are following.

I saw my gyn this morning for a recheck on some lab work.  My GI doctor had me taking Vitamin D supplements earlier this year because I have Crohn's disease and blood work showed that my D level was low.  I was already taking other vitamins, including B12.  I went to gyn with dry mouth two months ago and her findings showed B12 was too high.

In case this helps anyone, my dry mouth went away completely after I stopped taking all vitamin supplements.  My gyn ordered blood work this morning to recheck my Vitamin B12 and D levels and also thyroid, which was in the high end of normal.  She told me that even with the Crohn's I can get the vitamins I need by eating properly.

I learned from all this that vitamin supplements may or may not be a good idea and suggest checking with a doctor before taking them.  If a doctor says it's okay to take them, be sure they're going to recheck your levels at some point.  My GI doctor put me on Vitamin D knowing that he won't see me again before my regular visit next year and did not request a recheck.  Not good!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

By dry mouth - do you mean lips or actual mouth?

Was it just Vit B12 and D you were taking. Nothing with Vit A in?

• Posted

Research has shown that unless you sit in the sun everyday for about an hour you don't get enough vitamin d. Just about all diseases and most ailments lack vitamin d3. Vitamin D depletes in your system pretty quickly, not sure about those with Crohn's disease but I've learned that if you eat a clean diet, you'll retain most of nutrients.

• Posted

The issue did not arise until I'd been on the Vitamin D for about 3 months.  It was dry mouth, not just lips, and I drink lots of water daily and have for many years.  

I live in a region where I can get more sun, and I can definitely make dietary changes, which is something I've been working on, anyway.  I am greatly relieved that the dry mouth went away.  I had never had this problem before and haven't since giving up the supplements.  

• Posted

Oily fish contains vitamin D too. If you have to go for supplements, sadly it's the expensive ones that are often best as they include synergistic compounds that make them easier to digest. Even though eating healthily is expensive it's cheaper than vitamins in the long run and in terms of overall health.

• Posted

I heard that Vit D is very important.  Even my dentist recently told me to take Vit D and Calcium for my teeth,  I wasn't expecting that info!!   I've been taking it daily as well as a few other supplements.   I'm anemic so I take iron a couple times a week because I have read that too much iron is not good.  

• Posted

I am definitely going to eat clean.  It is something I have always known I could do.  I'm sick and tired of these doctor visits and lab test dramas.  

• Posted

Thanks.  I have decided that clean eating must be my top priority now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.