My hands hurt!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Years ago I began developing osteoarthritis in the meaty part of my thumb. In the last couple of years the pain has spread to just below the edge of the hand where it meets the wrist and my first two fingers on both hands hurt. There are a few things that aggravate it. Using my tablet or phone is a big one and the other one is walking with a walker. You see I broke my left ankle in 3 places 2 months ago and I cannot put any weight on it. I cannot use crutches so they want me to use a walker and hop on my other foot... if you can believe that! Well all this has really got my hands in really bad shape. I'm hoping someone here has some suggestions. Obviously I'm going to stay away from the Walker. I have purchased a stand for my tablet and I hope that helps. I take Leflunomide and I use Voltaren on my hands. My doctor wants me to try Humira but I can't afford it and I don't qualify for low income help. (My share would be $850 every month.) I need to ask my rheumatologist for help and I'm hoping to get a response from her by tomorrow. But I was hoping maybe somebody would be online tonight or see my question tomorrow and give me some pointers or something that worked for you.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Can you rent a 4 wheel Walker with a seat they are much easier to maneuver than the straight leg awful walkers. That type messed up my hands and shoulders too!

I  totally get the perdictament your in. Had hip joint revision same problems with regular Walker until the 4 wheel Walker which moves so easy has breaks , easy handle on hands, wrists & shoulder also height adjustable and a seat. Then there the knee Walker has a place for one knee to rest on with rollers...the ankle leg rest on the Walker with wheels and handle brake.  see online ..Google ,... Just a few ideas others will help with handy aides to make rehab easier while recooping. 

Very sorry about about your ankle it's always something. It sure puts a wrinkle in life for awhile.  Wishing you lots of healing blessings to get thru to a better place Soon.confused

Also Humira is good for certain types of arthritis to help slow down the damage from RA and PsA. It's a bio drug and has been on the market for quite a few years. And if you need financial assistance the drug company that makes Humira will help you pay for the drug discounts and coupons and other financial aides available. Your doctor should be able to help you with that . See more info online. 

Have you tried DEMARDS ... MTX ...and Cymbalta? They have been helpful for me to manage pain and daily coping with arthritis issues.

• Posted

I really appreciate all the suggestions that you've made. Unfortunately with the Humira, my husband makes too much money to qualify for the low income discounts. As far as the other discount programs that are not income related, I do not qualify for them simply because I'm on Medicare. If I had private insurance I would qualify. All of the pharmaceutical companies that offer these discounts do not qualify if your on Medicare. It must be a Medicare rule but I don't know. I did get to use one discount program for a year when I was on private insurance years ago. Of course it wasn't for Humira and it was another drug I was on. And those can be very helpful. I don't really see why that should matter but it does with a lot of drug companies. And my doctor did file once with Humira for help and they denied me based on my income.

As far as the four wheeled walker type, I still have the one that my mother used. However the brakes don't work on it so I can't use it as a walker because I can't trust that it will stop. My doctor just wrote a prescription and sent it over to a medical supply company to get me a walker with what is called platforms. It is essentially a device that fits on the walker where you put your forearms on so that the weight goes on your forearms instead of your hands. I'm hoping that my share of the cost will not be to high. Medicare pays 80% which sounds like a lot but I know that medical supply stores sell things for a lot more than what I can get on Amazon. I'll just have to wait and see.

• Posted

I have same ins. In my case It's protocol to use other drugs that work up the ladder "I take MTX (methotrexate) and DEMARDs help a lot they are immunosuppressive drugs helpful to stop the joint damage from progressing. No injections or infusions as with most bio drugs. 

Great to hear you are getting a arm rest for your Walker lidocaine patches to the rescue ask your doc. 

My doc gave me a RX for lidocaine patches for shoulders and wrists really worked. Had to have xiaflex injections in palms from straight Walker aggravating 

the nodgules in my hands. 

In a few months this healing journey will be behind you and better days ahead .

• Posted

Oh gawd I feel it! I thought I was doing really well on natural therapies and high doses of supplements then two weeks ago my knee started burning and no sleep. Since then my wrists are worse than ever. So go to go (the fourth)?and far out she says I have RActhis will be the fourth different diagnosis. I was angry to say the least. How can the day this without even a touch of me or look st past MRI etc. !?sorry am ranting if you find done solutions to reducing inflammation and pain please let me know. I am in ideal weight eat healthy vegetables and omega 3 etc I until this week had not taken a painkiller now I feel I am eating it advill 800mg 3 times a  and  sleeping tablets   None of which is easing pain. Kes  
    • Posted

You need to be very careful with those Advil you're taking. It will just rot your stomach and you will end up with gerds or acid reflux. I found out the hard way.

• Posted

If it is RA you should be getting some medication for it to prevent damage to your joints.  
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga!

I actually have a combination of RA and OA. I have several joints that hurt and also my back. So she is treating me with and are a medication so I don't have any joint damage. Unfortunately it is not helping me much with my hands. I cannot take methotrexate because I was recently diagnosed with a fatty liver. And all of the others are more expensive than I can afford even with Medicare paying for some of it. I am not income eligible and there discount programs such as Humira do not offer a discount to anyone who is on Medicare.

• Posted

Oh I know I had that reflux last year when in predisinone. I have to do something um I take probiotics twice a day and so far ok (who knows). Thanks I am surviving and trying to be positive ! 
    • Posted

I am certain it's not RA I was being treated as though it was. This dr this week was running at the mouth just looking to refer me on. That's my feeling ! So damn frustrating! I was doing really well until 10 days ago. Maybe just a little flare up ! I do have prescription for anti malaria which I was taking but stopped on the advice of another doctor ! Might  discuss  him, as at least he shows care for whole of health ! I will see how I feel by end of week ! 

• Posted

Okay, it sounded like you weren't getting any meds for the RA, that's all, didn't understand that it wasn't a certain diagnosis.  Hope you get things sorted soon!

• Posted

I had MRI and X-rays and was told it was oa, then gp who is naturopath put me on many supplements and suggest I stop the chloroquine. So I did that end of Jan ! then this flare I went to emergency last week and they said it was transferred pain from neck and back. Then local gp here in yamba (we move a lot due to work) said it was RA. What the? So I have prescription here for chloroquine. I think I might try it again. Regardless both oa and ra destroys the joints.  I really don't know. My partner has a contract coming up in Canada and USA and I am panicking (we are in Aus now) but leave in May ! 

My relationship is suffering too ! 

Phew 

• Posted

Oh dear, you do have a lot on your plate.  No wonder you feel unwell.  I hope that May brings you a new and happier chapter.  At least you'll be moving from a place entering winter to the hemisphere entering summer!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.