My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 3)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey everyone! My name is Michelle and this is part 3 of My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey posts. My surgery is in exactly 3 days from today...scheduled for this Thursday (April 27, 2017). Please feel free to read My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey part 1 & part 2 posts to see what has led me up to the decision of getting the surgery done. Long story short, other treatment methods have not worked for me and have dealt with painful, bleeding hems for 5yrs..almost 6 actually.

So, like I mentioned in part 2, we did go on our little Spring getaway to L.A. I felt it was the perfect escape we needed in the middle of lots of stressful things going on in addition to my upcoming surgery. That weekend, which was Easter wknd, was the last time I ate any red meats. Since then, he stuck to soft foods, fiber foods, and some fish. Plus am now taking 2 laxatives daily rather than just one. Am pretty consistent in eating at least 2-3 fruits & veggies per day, plus drinking more water than usual, but I feel that that hasn't been enough in obtaining very soft stools by now. I have been receiving some advice here from this site, plus have been doing lots more research on getting tips regarding this procedure. My being anxious about this has grown some over the last few days, so So has my hunger in more knowledge over the before, during, and after of this surgery, lol.

**Here are some additional tips/advice/suggestions that I have gained/learned about during the last week and am highly considering:

-No spicy foods

-Take Laxative 12 hrs before surgery

-Look up Squatting videos to be able to poo in a Squatting position which I supposed to make having a BM more comfortable & less painful post surgery

-Stock up on baby wipes & pads (which I already have lots of anyways, so check)

-Strict fiber diet 3 days prior to surgery

-Clear liquids diet 1 day before and if possible, up to a week after surgery

-After clear liquids diet, soft foods/high fiber, lots of liquids, no red meats for at least a month if possible

-Hot water bottles? I think for rectum after bm...

-Stick to pain meds (not the constipating ones) every 3 hrs (even during night time) for pain management.

-Daily sitz baths

-Doughnut pillow

So, yeah, I'm pretty much considering almost all these tips/suggestions. I ate fish today for the last time...starting tonight, strict fiber diet, then Wednesday, clear liquids only diet. After surgery on surgery day, continue liquids diet, and want to stick to clear liquids diet at least until Sunday. Sunday I would start strict fiber diet along with lots of liquids.

So, will see how it all goes. All in God's hands and hoping pain is manageable especially 1st week, heheheh.

Thanks again for taking time in reading this. Any questions/comments/feedback is greatly appreciated - thanks in advance wink

By the way, will post Part 4 shortly after surgery day hopefully some time by the end of this week wink

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I recently had a haemorrhoidectomy (1 month ago actually) and found the surgery to be not so bad. I only missed 7 business days at work and was back on my bicycle then also. 

I recently did a post about my haemorrhoidectomy experience as I feel the majority of stories out there can help propogate a negative mindset prior to surgery (I know it did for me!).

Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience, I'm happy to answer them all!

Cheers,

Pete

• Posted

Hi Pete! smile

Thank you so much for your comment/input! Very relieved to hear of another successful, not so bad pain-wise hem surgery - thank you so much for sharing!

I read your post hemorrhoidectomy story, and thank u for sharing it! Amazing how you went back to work in such little time and even more surprising, riding your bike again in just 2wks?? OMG, wow! Good for you that you got through it what seems like a piece of cake compared to many other people who get this surgery. Another thing that surprised me is how well you have done so fast after surgery being that you're a male because I have heard that most males who go through this have a harder time during the recovery phase than women. Well, at the end, each person is different, right? wink

I must ask, did u do anything prior to surgery day to prepare yourself? Just wondering. Again, thank you so much for your input wink

• Posted

Hi Andrea,

I didn't consciously do anything special prior to the surgery apart from following the instructions from the hospital (These were to take the laxatives and stool bulker twice a day for the 2 days before the surgery). From a diet perspective I have been eating a much more high fibre diet for about the last 2 years so didn't change anything there.

One advice I would give prior to the surgery is for you to tell people what surgery you are going in for. I found myself very embarrassed about the surgery due to the nature of where it is (At the end of the day people don't like talking about bums!), however once I got over my embarrassment and starting telling people (Particularly at work when people asked - I obviously didn't march around the office announcing it willy nilly!) I had a large number of people recounting stories of their relatives/loved ones who had had the surgery. I found it amazing how common haemorrhoids are, and how common this surgery is (I have a friend who is a doctor who was temporarily working in colo-rectal, she reckons they do 2-3 haemorrhoidectomy's a week!). 

The surgery will change your life for the better. My haemorrhoids stopped me from living a normal life, and held me back from doing some of the things I wanted to do. I'm now much more comfortable and confident being haemorrhoid free. Set yourself up to recover well at home (I downloaded netflix which was great) and try to enjoy the time where you don't have to worry about work or regular chores, focus instead on recovery and rest.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I see your surgery is today (27/4) hope it goes well! Remember lots of laxatives and painkillers (Panadols not endones)

Cheers,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi again, Pete!

Wow, very amazing how well your doing, and your diet before surgery seemed to have played a role in a better recovery. Thank you so much for your insight and best wishes! wink

I did have my hem surgery already...will start posting about it in a bit now that I feel ok to do so if you kwim, lol smile

Thanks again, hope you continue to do well & talk to you later ;-)

• Posted

WOW, your recovery story has me less worried. Any surgery is scary but you seem to have an upbeat way about it. I'm glad you're all well and living life. I can't wait to be free of this issue too. But unlike yourself, I'm too embarressed to mention it. I mentioned it to my sister a bit just because I was in so much pain one night when I was with her that I couldn't hold back the tears.

• Posted

I'm reading your post as I lay on my side in thrashing pain. Hope you get the help you need. At the same time I can't imagine taking a trip. I can't even do anything outside of going to work. My daughters birthday is tomorrow and she wants me to take her out. I wish I had something to take just a little edge off this pain. I see a surgeon on Monday if I survive. Best of luck, will watch for your part 4 post

• Posted

Hi Kat! smile

I'm so sorry you're in pain now, that's never any fun sad

I'm also just laying on side most of the time, but bc I just had my Hemorrhoidectomy less than 48 hrs ago. Did you also already have a hem surgery as well or are u still waiting for surgeon to approve it so you can go through it? Either way, sending hugs & prayers your way.

It's past midnite here as I respond to your post, so officially the 29th, and also my oldest one's bday, lol, wow wink He's turning 8, but will understands that I can't do anything now with him for his bday, but thankfully my sis in law is going to take him out for a bit and anyways, we're going to be doing a bday party for him & the rest of my kiddos in a month. They're bday are back to back, all Spring babies <3

I will be posting part 4 in a bit now that I'm finally feeling up to it, heheheh. Kat, I really hope you fine the relief & help you need so much sooner rather than later. Thank you so much for your comment & feedback. Hope to hear more about your experience with these nasty hems and surgery if you have gone through it or about to soon. Look forward to talking more with you soon - hugs & take care! wink

• Posted

Hi everyone! smile

Just want to let you know for those who are interested, I just posted My Hemorrhoidectomy Journey (Part 4). In this post, I mainly talk about surgery day and Post Operation Day #1. Please feel free to read & comment - thank you again so much in advance! The care & God Bless wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.