My HIV scare experience - hope it'll give someone out here peace of mind!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been through a pretty traumatic couple of months - was so worried that I might have HIV or something even worse. 

It all started with me noticing bumps around the anus area, I looked online to find out what they were and found out that they are most likely to be genital warts caused by HPV. Before I could even go get it treated, I got chickenpox, which got better within 10 days or so. 

However, a few days after i thought I recovered I started having persistent low grade fever almost every night. This was when I got really worried cuz it felt like my immune system was so weak I kept getting attacked by all these viruses within a month of time. 

Then I went for a full check up, results are all clear apart from Chlamydia

My suggestion would be to get checked ASAP if you're not sure what's going on and don't look online too much!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Does it burn when you pass urine?

Any urethral discharge?

When you were checked over - were the spots HPV?

• Posted

Thanks for the post, and glad you tested negative for HIV.  Did you also get the bumps around the anus looked at?

People seem to get a lot more worried about HIV than they should.  It's actually quite rare in most countries, and treatable.  A UK doctor was in the news in 2014 for saying that he'd rather be diagnosed with HIV than diabetes, as the outcomes were much better for people with HIV.

The only way anyone will know for sure if they have HIV or not though is to get tested.  It's very difficult to guess at a diagnosis based on symptoms.

• Posted

I'll share my story for anyone that happens to be looking for some comfort, just like I was. About two years ago, I picked up some random woman I met at work---my job dealt with the public, and I knew some unsavory characters, but she was attractive, looked healthy, and well I just didn't care at the moment. We talked for a few minutes, while she stroked my ...ego, and then I put a condom on and we had sex, good sex. At the end of everything, I realized my condom had ripped through, and after letting her know, things got weird. She looked terribly distraught and said something along the lines of, "now you have it", which instantly sent all my alarms off and was like the hell you mean have it. Her response, in an almost joking manner was (and at this point I'm realizing this woman's mental instability) I told you, " I have an eye disease", translation I have an---auto--- I---immune--- disease---deficiency: I was shocked. Now, at first I couldn't believe it, I'm thinking maybe she's crazy, or just has something else, but her demeanor changed and she seemed genuinely regretful about it. Now, I dropped her off and went on with my life; I googled around and found out that my chances of catching hiv(which I assume she had, if anything) were higher because my penis is uncircumcised. I got checked three days later, and it was negative. A few weeks after my encounter with her, I got sick with what would seem a typical flu, but once I wasn't sick anymore I felt tired, much more tired than ever before...time went on and I felt better. A good year had passed and I hadn't gone to get my last checkup and make certain that I was negative---I was afraid, afraid of the social stigma, and afraid of knowing their was something inside me ready to kill me if I let it---I had headaches, thought I was losing my memory( I'm twenty five). Anyhow, some deep part inside myself felt I was positive. Finally, about a week ago, and almost two years after the incident, I scheduled a same-day appointment at planned parenthood and had a rapid test performed: after the test, I kept feeling like the nurses were looking at me oddly... it had been forty minutes, and she had said she'd call  me in twenty: I was nervous. At last she called me, and took me into a room, again, I was nervous. She said, "okay, your HIV negative, and we'll call you if any of your other results turn out positive *relief washed over me*. To put an end to what has been a long story, I had driven myself crazy, I googled symptoms and through placebo effect gave them to myself. I hope that anyone who comes here seeking answers, has a similar experience, and the best advice I can give you, is just call around, see how soon you can take the test and do it, spare your mind the constant fear of having it. P.S.  I feel like I dodged a bullet, but if she really didn't have anything, wish I would have gave her the round two wink good luck friends, sending you the good vibes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.