My husband had a hemorrhoid surgery with thd method and also had a fissure which they removed

Posted , 2 users are following.

The pain is unbearable  8 days after the surgery.  He cannot have a decent BM because of the pain. He takes tramadol pain killers and also diclofenac but the pain is still the same. It takes 10-15 min for the pain to lessen. We went to another doctor and said the pain is from the fissurectomy because there is an open wound. Anyone had a similar experience? We don't know what to do. He is in great depression and has loss of appetite. He also takes stool softeners but they won't do anything as he cannot have a BM due to the pain

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had the same operation.  It took me 5 months to recover.  The pain was so bad for me in the first week that the only thing I could do was to lie down and drink half a bottle of vodka a day.  After a week my routine was to wake up, run the bath, download enough TV to last 3 hours, get my medicines and food ready, take my BM, clean myself, take all the medicines (I was only on ibuprofen and paracetomol then), get into the bath, start drinking the vodka, stay in bath minimum 3 hours, then lie on bed with legs clutched together and not move for a further 4-5 hours.  But in the first week the pain had me punching the wall it was so bad and screaming at the doctor.  I believe some hospitals will give opiods for pain relief if it really is that bad.  The fissure has probably had the 'rind' along its edges cut off so that it can heal, the reason it was painful for a long time pre-op is that this tough rind had formed and nature could not take its course and naturally heal the wound.  With the rind cut off you need 5-10 days for the fissure to heal.  Once it has healed it will still hurt and you will still need to take long bath s for a while, for me it was months.I also had a cream containing LIdocaine which I appled directly to the area that seemed to help.  There are no short cuts.

• Posted

Was the pain from the fissure or from the hemorrhoids? The pain is so unbearable that he cannot have a proper BM. Was it the same for you? How long did it take for the pain to reduce? It has been the 9th day and the pain is still the same
  • Posted

THe pain is probably from the fissure, because after every BM the fissure opens up again.  But it is 2 steps forward, 1 step back, probably in the next few days he will start to feel better because the fissure is healing quicker than it is being ripped back open.  Of course the haemmoroid scar will also need to heal but I believe that is straightforward compared to the pressures the fissure is put under.  But take note, even after the fissure has initially healed and the flow of blood has come to an end, it will still hurt like hell, and you might be looking at a recuperation time of several months, but you do feel a 2% improvement every day.  For me, I was measuring improvement in weeks, it was so small I didn't notice it daily but at the end of a week I could look back and see that I was in less pain than the week before.  SOmewhere on this site I wrote a detailed record of my post-op, I will try to find and send to you.  But I am not joking, the only thing that will get him through the pain is drinking, at least for a week or so.

• Posted

If you are in the UK, make sure to get the Lidocaine gel.  It is available in other countries too but might be marketed under a different name.  I think it is prescription-only.  And also, you should go back to the consultant who did the operation for a post-op check to make sure it is healing properly. Push hard to make sure they look after him post-op, their tendency is to assume you will recover and move on to the next big money operation ASAP.
    • Posted

Unfortunately we cannot cope with it. He is not in constant pain all day. He is in pain only when he goes to the toilet and afterwards he feels okay when 10 minutes pass. Did you have the same symptoms or were you in constant pain? Was the gel containing only lidocaine? He uses an ointment that he used before the operation for hemorrhoids
    • Posted

He is not in constant pain. Only when he goes to the toilet. Afterwards after 10 minutes he is okay. We you in contant pain all day? Is the gel containing only lidocaine? He uses an ointment that he used before the operation for hemorrhoids

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.