My last posting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I would like to thank everyone on the forum who has replied to my posts mostly moaning and have tried to offer support and advice.  I have decided that this will be my last post on the forum.  As you may know I am seeing a CBT councillor for anxiety.  Whilst a lot of what has been discussed has been helpful and well meaning I find that reading about a condition which doctors and consultants don't know about is causing me more anxiety.  The talk of cancer if this condition is not treated just freaks me out.  This morning as of most mornings I have woken up early feeling very anxious and whole body aching. As I mentioned in an earlier post I am trying now to concentrate on the anxiety which I feel has a lot to do with how I feel and I don't think I can be helped by being on this forum it is rather like googling symptoms which most with anxiety do.  I have not done this for several months.  I wish everyone well for the future and hope that the medical profession wake up to this awful condition although even if they do will take ages like everything else.  Thanks again

Carol

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are making entirely the right decision, Carol.  There are too many on here methinks - whilst I am sure well intended - who do naught but add to other peoples' anxiety.  I wish you well ... and more than that ... much joy.  All best wishes.  
    • Posted

Exactly.    I think there are too many people on here who think they have all the answers, " you mustn't take that, you. It's do this, meds are dangerous.   You need this supplement " ......I could go on

there are so many groups on facebook now which I think are more balanced and less aggressive. I'm on one for the linx procedure, when I talk about it on here I get shot down in flames . Amyway I wish you all well and if you jace. Problem that won't go away or your worried about  then GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR that's why they spend ten year studying , most of them are good helpful professionals if you have one who isn't then find one who is.        

• Posted

Understand totally how you feel. Have seen some very immature and irresponsible replies to posts which can make the person more worried than they were before. Dont forget the medical profesion like to do a quick fix, they never look at prevention, and tey only look at things they ccan sell for money. So they will not give you solutions that are natural or preventative, which they know nothing about anyway. Consult a naturopath or research online for that. But like you say googling online can give you the shivers and make your hair stand on end, that has happened to me too.

Then for days you keep thinking about whatever it is you read and googling again trying to find something that is more positive so that you can forget the worrying stuff. It can be a time consuming nightmare. And if you tell anyone you know they dont understand and say the wrong thing too.

Cross that bridge when you come to it is of no use to a worrier.

• Posted

Hi there .Sorry to hear your anxiety is causing you such distress. I had anxiety most of my life and it probably contributed to my current  disorder but I have to say cbt helped me overcome and manage my life much better, so hope it works for you. I wish you all the best as you strive to improve your health and wellbeing .Take good care. x
  • Posted

Hello 

I would like th thank those who were kind enough to reply to my last posting.  Your kind words and advice are much appreciated.  Wishing all the very best for the future

Carol

• Posted

I know I said I would not post anymore because of the anxiety is causes.  One last question with regard to alkaline water.  I have been drinking water 8.2 ph from amazon.  I am awaiting another order which is late and I will run out today.  I think it has helped with the throat mucus.  I was searching on line for somewhere I could buy it from as I cannot find any in the shops.  Tesco sell it on line but it was not in my local branch.  I then found articles saying that it was not all it was cracked up to be.  Has anyone else found this?  Can anyone help with where I could buy alkaline water or drops (name please) from the shop.  I live in Greater London so a hard water area,  Many thanks,
    • Posted

Hope this helps.

If I were you I would try bicarbonate of soda, charcoal, acid cider vinegar or other natural solutions f irst, far less complicated, time consuming and expensive and far more practical. Then resort to this if they dont work.

You can get the alkaline drops through amazon but getting a filter works out cheaper. Buying the water is the most expensive way.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply.  I have IBS and am concerned about bicarbonate of soda in case it upsets my stomach.  I am at the moment weaning myself of omeprazole because it has caused constipation and bloating.  I will have a look at the alkaline drops and filters on Amazon.  

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Hi again.

Of course we are all different. I was on pp1s and pp2 for a while and became very ill with their side effects, felt awful, had to stop taking them, so tried bicarb and felt much better. You have to make sure it is thoroughly mixed with the water, a small glassful, some say you can take it three times a day, half a teaspoonful, I would try taking less because it can have side effects, but in my case far less of them than the medicine. The worst side effect I get is if I have been taking it for a few days in a row and get a cough when I wake up. This is nothing compared to the side effects that ground me to a halt on the medicine. It is unusual to get an upset stomach. But ibs is only an imbalance in the stomach anyway, I used to have it and got rid by balancing the flora and ibs all gone now.

I think that some of the side effects you can get from the medicine and the bicarb are the same because they are both doing the same thing - reducing or removing acid, but with the bicarb you can control how often you take it and it works quickly if it works at all.

I have also used it for a bad back ache and the pain was gone within minutes.

• Posted

Actually a lot of qualified naturopaths and doctors say this and I have found it to be true for myself and dozens of people I have spoken to. Maybe it wont work for you but that doesnt mean it doesnt work for others.
    • Posted

Hello again.  Thank you for your reply.  It is the awful throat mucus,throat clearing  and hoarsness that really get to me.  I suffer from Anxiety way before this problem and of course it has become worse with the worrying.

Before this happened my IBS was great no problems.  It all started one Saturday night when I made a cup of tea and whilst in the kitchen ate just 2 squares of fruit and nut chocolate.  As soon as I had swallowed the mucus started.  I should add that Around 7 years ago just as I was about to retire from work and grandchild on the way I developed a really strange problem which the gp said was a virus.  It made me very tight chested with a weird throat thing.  Antibiotics had no effect as they would not for a virus.  I was ill for around 2 months and it left me with a much milder version of the mucus throat.  It would come on after sneezing what would happen is I would sneeze a few times and then be left with awful mucus which I would keeping gagging up for around 1/2 hour.  It did not affect me too much so I just forgot about it.  I now think this is the same thing although must worse.  I notice other posters say it started after a sinus infection.  During the last few years I have had 2 sinus infections never had before.  I had a sinus scan which was normal.  It is digusting that gp's and consultants no nothing about this condition and say it is anxiety.  I do agree though that anxiety probably makes it worse but is certainly not the cause.  Yesterday I had my routine dental check and I mentioned that I was worried about the acid damaging the enamel.  He had a look and said I was ok but gave me a prescription for some flouride toothpast to be used once a week as I already use a toothpaste for sensitive teeth with enamel protection.  I am going for a barium meal next month to see if I have a hiatus hernia and to confirm reflux.  I am wondering if I should see a ENT doctor but even they don't seem to think LPR exists.  I also get back pain although as I have arthritis in the spine it is hard to know whether it is reflux arthritis or tight muscles from the anxiety.  My water has just arrived so ok for now but will certainly think about what you suggested once I am off the omeprazole.  Down to 20mg every other day at the moment.  What I am really concerned about is as I sing in a choir and have not been able to go whether I will have to give it up and whether If I go back will I damage my vocal chords.  I have read posts about this but no one including consultants seem to know.  Interestingly on line there are articles about LPR and professional singers.  Forgot to say still have the same mucus when I sneeze.  I also have asthma very mild and controlled amongst other things and am on a lot of medication.

• Posted

Back pain can be because of an imbalance with acid - same as sinus infections.

This is how it was for me anyway, and the bibarbonate got rid of the back pain which was severe - and had come on as one of the side effects of the medicine for acid reflux,

and the sinus infection is better, not totally ok, but hopefuly getting there. Asthma can be a side effect of acid reflux. I agree with you that ENT and doctors etc do not see ther ei is acid reflux and we have to do this ourselves. I think your sinus, asthma and this are all one and the same.

• Posted

Hi I am sure that my back pain which I did have because of the arthritis has got worse because of the acid problem.  In fact since starting the PPI.  I am hoping once I am weaned off it will go back to as it was.  Talking about bicarbonate of soda I use this in a solution to clean my eyes as I also blepharitis.  I find this much much better than the usual baby shampoo advised by doctors.  I am assuming it must be anti inflammatory 

in nature as it is an old household remedy.

I am glad that the Bicarb got rid of your back pain and that your sinus is getting better.  I am sure like you that they are all connected.  You only have to read the posts sinus,asthma,thyroid (which I also have) and anxiety either there already or caused by this awful condition.  As you said an imbalance.  I long for the day when doctors will treat you as a whole person taking all your symptoms into consideration instead of all this going from one department to another often with no diagnosis.  I will wait until I am off the PPI and my stomach is more settled before trying the bicarb as suggested.  Thank you for your interest and advice.

• Posted

Doctors very often drive me mad. I started to take the medication for stomach ulcers and got a nasty cough - told the doctor - and she gave me cough syrup. It was only by researching and reading a lot I saw that the medicine was causing the cough but when I said this they were surprised and had never heard of it before. They never seem to look at the whole picture, which to me is irresponsible and naive. Dont forget that when you come of ppis it is normal to have stomach problems and most doctors will say this means you should stay on them. But it is from the withdrawal and from the stomach getting used to acid, not because you need them. Good luck wit it all.
    • Posted

I totally agree with you.  You just end up being offered more drugs for side effects that they don't seem to think exist.  At the moment my doctor is considering changing my Blood Pressure medication.  It is only because I showed her proof of what people were saying about it.  I have not pushed it at the moment with so much going on but do want to change to something else.  The one I am on Amlodipine has a uncommon side effect

of rhinitis.  The virus I told you about started a view weeks after I started on this drug way back in 2007.  It started with a very dry mouth and nose but yellow nasal discharge then the problems I told you about.  I did not connect it at the time as I had been well before this.  The only troube with this drug is it belongs to a group called calcium channel blockers which all tend to cause problems.  I suppose it is trial and error.  I am glad I am coming off the omeprazole as I don't now believe it is right to stop the acid surely it is there for digestion.  I have ranitidine and gaviscon advance to use if the acid gets worse whilst adjusting.  My gp did say that I was probably making more acid because of my extreme anxiety and I can see this can be true so I don't think I needed a PPI at all.  When I come off them completly is there anything you think I should do to help my body get used to the acid again apart from trying to deal with my anxiety.

• Posted

Hi again! Would consider plant sterols for blood pressure - or garlic rather than their medicine with its side effects.

To come off the ppis I bit the bullet and got through it in a few days. I held on to the fact I was doing the right thing. Some people say they come off gradually but the stomach cannot get used to it being back to normal then, it is just dragging it out so it takes a lot longer. It is like pulling a plaster off - you just yank it quick. But I would consider taking fibre three or more times a day as from now, because that helps to absorb the acid,

also cut down on liquids a bit.

• Posted

Hi  I thought plant sterols were for cholesterol correct me if I am wrong.  I came off simvastatin as it caused me awful pains in the arms and legs.

I don't like the idea of these either.  My cholesterol is around 6.3.  I have already lost 9Ibs in weight and am hoping that weight loss and anxiety management will help with lowering both BP and cholesterol.  I will be off the omeprazole at the weekend.  My son in law came off ppi's some time ago and only uses DGL licorice.  I will see him next week so I will ask him more about it.  Thank you for your suggestion on more fibre and less liquid.  Do you mean a fibre supplement?  I usally have branflakes for breakfast wholemeal bread sandwich lunchtime. meat and veg at night.

Plus low fat yogurts and fruit mainly apples and pears.

• Posted

Yes you are right, sorry. Re plant sterols. I presume you live in the USA, everything is different in the uk re doctors and what they will do for you. Over here a lot of people will shun supplements because they can get free medicine from the doctor and would prefer that even if it gives them horrible side effects. They are mad but there you go. Never tried the licorice but do understand you must make sure it has no sugar in it etc.

I take the fibre supplement of physillium husks three times a day, it keeps me regular, helps to avoid cancer etc and if it helps with the acid reflux its a bonus but it cannot make it worse. A lot of companies are now bringing out so called diet aids which they sell for a fortune which are really just fibre capsules with a lot of fancy advertising and packaging, because they help you to feel fuller for longer. Branflakes are good but can contain a lot of sugar, brown bread is better than white, with grains is better still. Ideally cut down on proteins, carbohydrates and prepared and refined stuff, sugar and salt, though I find it hard as I love my food. Yoghurts must be the proper live ones, some low fats are just sugar and water virtually. And if it says it has biotics sometimes they are there in tiny doses, dead and useless. Some people hve cured their acid reflux by eating a lot of live yoghurt and/or taking biotics, I have been doing this for monhs and am sure its helping. The way I see it is that I have to buy food anyway so its not really an expense as I have that instead of whatever. I also read that when you eat fruit eat it on an empty stomach on it's own and no other food for at least an hour otherwise it can ferment and bubble up.

• Posted

Hi You must be fed up with me with all my questions.  Anyway I am in the UK Greater London.  I have just looked up on Amazon for the DGL he takes and there is a sugar free option so will ask him about it when I see him.

Where do you get physillium husks from.  I ask this not just because of  what we have been talking about but because I am due a barium swallow and I understand you get constipated afterwards not what  you want with IBS.

I sometimes have porridge just started bran flakes again after a long rest.

Sometimes toast and egg.  We always have wholemeal bread I like granary but don't have it very much. We have used skimmed milk for many years, and low fat olive spread.  I take yakult everyday and do eat natural bio yogurt sometimes just low fat fruit type.  I have also heard about fruit fermenting if you eat it after other food.  I believe it is because fruit takes a shorter time to digest and is stuck waiting for the other food to go through.  One last thing I don't know how long you have suffered with this condition but I am dreading christmas.  I have cut out chocolate and biscuits only have 1 cup of ordinary tea a day.  I don't like coffee so no problem there I drink decaffineated green tea and water.  I did buy Dr Kaufmans book but found it far too restrictive and I was not keen on the recipes.  I still have my husband to feed and as a pensioner I must be aware of the cost.  Going back to Christmas do you think I might be able to have a small amount of chocolate as a treat?

• Posted

If I ever get fed up with questions I say so or disappear! LOL>

I get the husks on amazon. They are quite cheap and help with lots of things.

Porridge is much healthier than bran flakes.

I also use olive spread. I findthat no matter what I eat it makes no difference so I eat what I want now. Only I watch what I eat because of calories and putting on weight and other health problems.Snap regarding the book. I often eat out with other people

or have pepole here for a meal, it would be very difficult and boring to follow such a book. I cannot decide for you about Christmas food because I just eat accordikng to calories and other stuff, not this. I am much better since pro biotics - I often get goats yoghurt because it is truly live, it has no sugar. I make my own yoghurt sometimes using that as a starter. I dont want to get into this thing that so many do where their whole life is thinking about, talking about, preparing and living their illness. Not only would you become very boring and horri ble to be around (partners would leave in droves)but it is not necessary.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am hoping to go out for a meal next week with my daughter and family (belated birthday treat for me).  I got so upset with some saying no you can't eat out with this.  It is great to hear you say to can eat out.  I will just watch what I have without sitting there with a lettuce leaf.  I will look out for goats yoghurt as well.  I will post again on how I get on and I wish you all the best and many thanks

for your realistic  approach to this subject which has made me feel much better about the future.

• Posted

You are very welcome - any time. I found the goats yoghurt in TESCO and think they have it in other supermarkets. Otherwise best to get the non sugar normal live yoghurt such as onken or their own brand - not the one with fruit. You can enjoy life, this does not have to be all doom and gloom, being bored and fussing over little details. Have a lovely birthday treat,happy birthday.
    • Posted

Hi Just to let you know my daughter and family came to stay on Monday and have just gone back home this morning.  I am happy to say that I enjoyed their visit and seeing my grandaughters.  Although I have had some arthritis pain and feel tired probably being on the go with the girls my anxiety really improved during their stay and I have had minimal reflux problems my stomach is much improved having been off the omeprazole 5 days.  I did go out for a belated birthday meal and even drank a glass of white wine and even ate some chocolate with no repercussions.  I am beginning to think that it is definitely anxiety and stress causing most of the symptoms.  I still have some throat clearing but a lot less mucus.  

Although I have not had a diagnosis of LPR I  assumed that it was that because of what has been said on this forum regarding symptoms.  I have 2 hospital appointments next week orthopaedic and barium swallow.  I am trying to remain calm and not let the anxiety creep back up.  I am now wondering whether it is LPR or anxiety symptoms.  I have some family decisions to make regarding a home move plus my health anxiety and feel that if I could really get to grips with it I would feel much better calmer and many of my symptoms would improve if not go altogether.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.