My Mask is slipping

Posted , 6 users are following.

The past few days I've tried to be "happy", "fun", "lively" and I have to admit there have been times when I started to believe it myself.  I guess trying to be positive can help.  But then comes today; I want to stay focussed on being positive but I'm struggling.  Any suggestions?

Life isn't easy at the moment, lots going on in my head that I cannot face dealing with.  I just want to shut it all out and be "normal".

3 likes, 15 replies

Report / Delete

15 Replies

• Posted

Normal is a cycle on a washing machine sweetie. Just focus on what is right for you, not for everyone else. You know what I do to help me brighten up and focus? I colour. I got some adult colouring books and a decent set of pens from Amazon. Just being able to let my mind run wild with the patterns and colours for a little while helps me to deal with my struggles.x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I feel that you have hit the nail on the head when you pointed to positivity.

It is so easy to fall into a negative way of thinking, but if we always try to look on the bright side of life, then life can become less burdonsome.

A good way to declutter our brains is by dealing with problems one at a time, and also viewing our progress in the same way by not expecting too much from ourselves at any one time.

A slow methodical approach works wonders believe me. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply archemedes.  However there are some problems that will never go away.  I kid myself into thinking I am dealing with them but really I know I am not.  Something I just have to keep on living with and trying not to let drag me down.

Thanks for listening.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Love the picture.  I think we all put on a "going out face."  Don't try so hard.  Be yourself.  It is hard work trying to be all the things you want to be like "happy" "fun" etc.  Yes we all try to be positive.  We all have our own ways of coping.  Ups and downs all the time.  Yes it is a struggle to be positive.  Enjoy the good days and coast through the down days as best you can. 

Normal is outrated.  Who is normal?  What is normal?  If you cannot deal with things at the moment, then don't.  When you feel up to it you can do things, meanwhile go easy on yourself. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks anne240.  I'm having a better day today.  I suppose I wear my mask more for the sake of others than for myself, because after all you cannot truly fool yourself can you?
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry to jump in on this but I feel exactly the same. II feels in do  better knowing other people feel the same (not I a bad way, more like I always think, 'is it just me that feels a this way' I don't feel normal most days. I wake up in a nasty, horrible, negative snappy mood and for the whole day I dwell on everything meg give in my life and Nantes snap out of it no matter what. I hate feeling this way.. Sorry I'm new to this is site hope you don't miNd me jumping in 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are welcome to answer any question, it is not jumping in.  It is here for everyone to give their view, and all answers are very welcome.  It helps a great deal to know there are other people who feel exactly the same as us. 

Welcome to this site, and you will find that everyone is so friendly and helpful, and understanding.  You are very welcome

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks jadelea1991.  You are more than welcome to comment, because it is people like you that understand and are willing to voice that, that really helps me.  You are right, knowing others can associate with how I feel means I am "normal".  We may have different problems, fears or issues, but we share a common goal wanting to understand and combat our condition.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Deaver,

when I have lots on my mind I write my thoughts down.  It's like a "to do" list. I sometimes write down a day/date of when I will deal with each item on the list or just leave the list to deal with in the future. 

If my mind is racing at bedtime , I keep paper and a pen handy to write thoughts down to help stop thinking about them.

i have days where I struggle and now accept it part of the illness - on these days I am kind to myself, don't push myself and try to relax and "try again tomorrow".

I hope these can help you, keep in touch, Katie x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Katie.  I found that if I make a list  and try to set dates, I hate myself more when I don't achieve that goal.  Now I do try to go a little easy on myself when I'm down, but it sure isn't easy.  I'm a typical Virgo, self critical (probably to an extreme in my case).  I like to be busy, that way I have less time to find fault. At present I'm "stable" I guess is the best way to describe how I feel.  I know it won't take much to topple but Ireally do try hard to keep balabnced.

Thanks for your words.  Means alot.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear you are down hope you feel brighter soon. Writing things down help me too it might not be for you but try writing poetry or even a form of autobiography just for you to read which might help you to put your feelings into context. Joining a Drama club might also help you. For me being outdoors in nature always helps me especially being by the sea. Even if it

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up