My operation is tomorrow advice please?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My gallbladdee surgery is tomorrow morning.

I am so so nervous.

How long is recovery after surgery? I have a baby so lifting and bending over and carrying the pram up and down the flat stairs on a daily basis. Hes 5months now so is a fidget and doesnt sit still when on my knee. So how long before i can get back to normal activities like that?

How do you feel after the op? Is it sore to move around? Eat? Sit ? Lay?

And are there any side effects i should be aware of or look out for?

And my last question.

Do they do stitches glue or disovable stitches in the wounds? Xxx

Please reply. Im a nervous wreck and like to go in tomorrow with a clear head knowing roughly what to expect xxx

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi 

i was caring for my mum who had Parkinson's and lived with my hubby and I at the time .. She went into a care home for a week and I managed when she came out ... You go in in the morning out by evening .. I was surprised how well I felt .. At first you are sore but the gas they inflate you with makes its way out of you for the first 2-3 days , it comes through your shoulders etc and makes them ache .. But paracetamols took my pain away .. I found after 3 days I was cooking again but avoided all lifting .. I felt very tired and found reclining on the sofa I was pain free . After 5 days I was out and about but very careful and very fragile no lifting .. When my mum came home she had dementia and had a tantrum she fell forward on me and I had to lift her up ... That gave me muscle aches in my abdomen for a couple of days but I was ok ... 6 weeks fully back to normal muscle wise 3 months energy returned but I am 50 ... Stitches etc .. Tiny little cuts with disolvable stitches and the one in between your boobs having glue and stitch so got a bit itchy when I sweated ..germolene helped ...the belly button cut healed fastest the one between the boobs took the longest..

believe me when u go into surgery yes you'll be scared I cried but when I woke up I instantly felt better ..I was over the moon ..and you will realise that u have been enduring 10 out of 10 pain with gallstones and post op pain is like 5 at its worse but generally 2 .. 

Hope that helps and no lifting if u do u will learn the hard way I did xxxxhope all goes well Sally 

• Posted

Thank you very very much.

Im just so scared about what to expect so needes some reassurance and other peoples experiences. Thank you xxx

• Posted

Hi Crystal:  do you know if you are getting it done laproscopically?  If so, there will be four tiny holes and it is in and out procedure. I had mine out seven weeks ago.  I did not have stiches but rather they glued the incision together.  You need to get some help!  You should not be lifiting anything over 15 pounds for a month.  You will not be feeling well for at least a week and you need to take care of you.  I felt fine after surgery, just felt like someone punched me in the stomach.  I would suggest that you hold a pillow between you and your baby so that your baby does not mess with your incisions.  Is there anyway you can get help with your baby?  Also it is crucial to ice the first 24 hours, like 15 minutes on and 15 off; and drink at least 64 ounces a water for the first month and eat low fat for the first month as well.  You will not be able to drive until you are off your pain meds.  Good luck, you will feel so much better after you get this done!
    • Posted

They have scheduelded it keyhole.

But the nurse mentioned i have scaring tissue in and around my belly button and its up to the surgeon whether she can make that insicion? But i dont think the scar tissue is that bad.

My son is 15lbs 12oz. And like a i said a real fidget. His dad will be here to help.

But it was more so i didnt know when id be able to gwt back to bending and lifting and dragging the pram up ans down the stairs. But i think basically i need to take it easy? Xxx thank you

• Posted

Hi Crystal, I just had m surgery yesterday, First of all don't be too scared all will be OK... I do suggest a few things 1. Make sure you get your pain meds before leaving the surgery center who over is driving you can pick them up for you.2. You will need a lot of help with the baby you will not be able to pick anything up it will be rough to even sleep or I had to sleep on my back . getting up can be a bit rough.... As for the incision I have four staples on my belly button and two insicions by my rib cage that are just glued... You will be OK keep it iced for 15 minutes on 15 minutes off drink lots of water and listen to your body don't do too much but try not to sit around too much you want to try to move around a Lil, as for me I wasn't able to get much rest some people say they get insomnia which I believe now is possible... Try to have family around as much possible for you and the baby.... Let me know how it goes... Best of luck
    • Posted

Thank you so so much.

Really helpful.

Ive got some ice packs in the freezer so ill keep that in mind.thankyou! Xxx

• Posted

Hi I just had mine removed 3 weeks ago. You will be sore. I would get some help for about 2 weeks. You want be able to pick up any thing heavy. I hope everything goes well. I was nervous as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.