My periods can last up to 7 weeks, really need advice

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi there,

Apologies in advance for the long post! To start with a bit of background:

For the past 2 and a half years my periods have been CRAZY. On average they last anything from 3-7 weeks. Light at the beginning and end, super heavy for weeks in the middle. I can get another period 1 or 2 weeks after the last one ended, or sometimes I wait over a month.

I've been on the Cerazette pill for about 7 years and the implant (which I am told are the same hormones as Cerazette) for 3 years before that. About 4 years ago, I was switched to Cerelle, the 'non-branded version' of Cerazette, but both me and my doctor thought perhaps that was creating the problem, so I switched back to Cerazette in January. The hell hasn't stopped.

I take tranexamic acid but I'm not sure it does much.

I had 2 scans a year ago and another one at the beginning of this year. The latest one suggests my ovaries are polycystic, but the doctor didn't seem very concerned about it?

I have now been referred to a gynaecologist where the doctor thinks they'll suggest that I have the coil. The appointment isn't until end of July.

Now to detour my story for a second: at the beginning of July me and my partner are going on holiday. This isn't really an ordinary holiday - in March, I lost my mum and it's the worst thing that has ever happened to me. I am desperate to go abroad with my partner, who has been amazing and whose birthday it is at the beginning of July. In order to get away, I have made myself pretty skint and spent a lot of money I don't have. Which is irrelevant - as long as we get away from it all and have an amazing, stress-free time, the money doesn't matter.

Every holiday we have been on in the past two and a half years - long holidays, weekends away, Christmases, birthdays, and new years, have ALL involved me being in the middle of an insanely long, insanely heavy period. For this holiday in July, for way more reasons than one, I really, really, really want to be period free.

Yesterday I started spotting. If my track record is anything to go by, this means my period will be in full swing by July and just get heavier each day we are away. 

As mentioned above, my doctor has a feeling the coil could fix everything (but who knows), but I don't even have a consultation about this until after the holiday.

When I came on my period a few days before Christmas (after a gap of a week), I went into the walk-in clinic begging them for a solution to make it stop, but they couldn't suggest anything.

Does ANYONE have ANY advice, on how I can not be on my period for the first couple weeks of July. Has anything similar happened to anyone else? What did you do?

Thanks so much.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.