My reflux affects my back - is that possible?

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I am having an endoscopy tomorrow.  I've suffered from GERD/GORD for 12 years and Omeprazole doesn't seem to be working for it anymore and my reflux seems to have got worse over the last 6 weeks.   I would like to know if anyone suffers with their reflux in the back rather than chest?  i woke up with horrendous burning/soreness lower to mid back this morning which i do sometimes.  Is it possible for the acid to show up in the back?  i cannot wait to have my endoscopy tomorrow to hopefully get some answers.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carina have a look at my posts I have the same as you back pain only since October 2014 I've had the scope turns out I have Barretts its a term used for when the lower part of your oesphagus get red from rising stomach acid I was given Lansoprazol 30mg but its not working good luck tomorrow...
    • Posted

i'm on 40mg of Omeprazole at the moment and that doesn't seem to be working for me.  I'm so glad i'm having this test tomorrow and hope to find out more on my symptoms.
    • Posted

What has your GP suggested for you if medication not working? Trouble is I've taken my symptoms for granted up until recently and just got used to putting up with it over the years and am now a bit nervous having this test as i don't know if I've damaged anything although when I said this to my GP he said not but GERD pain is not nice at all.
    • Posted

i have not been back to my gp yet, this is a quite recent thing really, the gp gave me the lansoprazol, and the consultant who did the scope said stay on it, but it's not working so i am going to try get another appt with my gp, tried yesterday, she's got no appts for 21 days!!? so i might go back to the consultant. I believe most of it is stress related anyway...the more you think about it the worse it gets.
    • Posted

i am seeing my GP on Friday to discuss my scan results and endoscopy results and to see what medication i now need.  I will ask him what the difference is between Omeprazole and Lansoprazole and which one he/she thinks would be better for me.  I hope your symptoms will be relieved soon and just bear with all the appointments and waiting etc, for me that's the worst bit, waiting not knowing what's wrong.
  • Posted

OK, back from my endoscopy and............I have a Hiatus Hernia! that's all thank goodness and i feel so relieved that i know what my symptoms were caused by.  Apart from losing weight, i don't need any surgery or anything.  I have stressed over this for 6 weeks fearing the worst, i guess we all dread the C word when we don't feel well and don't know what causes our symptoms and all the waiting to find out doesn't help.  Thanks all for your posts, i will now need to go the Hiatus Herna posts! :-)
  • Posted

Yes it's all related I had the same I've since had a linx implant and I'm now fine. No meds no pain nothing. Good luck today. Paul
    • Posted

what is the operation you've had?  did you choose to have it or did the doctor recommend?  i was told i don't need an operation.  i'm assuming apart from losing weight, i can carry on with my normal everyday activities with a hiatus hernia?
    • Posted

Hi the linx implant is a relatively new procedure about 4 yrs old it's a magnetic titanium band that stops reflux by acting as a band over the oesophagus thereby stopping acid coming up from your stomach its non invasive and mine was done under the nhs as a day case I've suffered horribly for over 25 yrs and now I'm 100% with no need for any meds it's been life changing for me

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up