My reflux is back!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd suffered really bad reflux with the associated problems, heartburn, palpitations, breathing, sore throat, bad taste in mouth, bloated feeling, weakness and generally feeling awful. When I found this site it was good to know all these things were linked to reflux. Like everyone else I assumed it was something dreadful. I stumbled across a cure for me when I needed to have a blood test done and as I'm a full time carer for my husband didn't want to go for another round of the 4hr glucose test at the hospital for pre diabetes, so I decided to stop all carbs, ie bread, potatoes, sugar, processed foods for a month before getting the blood test done. I'm so glad I did, all the reflux problems started to go away. The Palpitations, which were particularly worrying, affected me all of the time, heart thumping, jumping, missing a beat, I'd put down to stress. All of the problems gradually disappeared, I stuck rigidly to it for 3 months, my blood test for pre diabetes was normal

and at last I was feeling better, no heartburn after every meal, or feeling weak and faint, sore throat and bad taste went, and no palpitations. I felt as if I was in control again.

?Christmas arrived, along with the carbs and sugar, the eating resumed back to as it was before, bread, potatoes, processed sugary foods. Back came all the problems. Heartburn first of all, then gradually all the other symptoms, in just over a few days.

?Tomorrow I'm back to no carbs or sugar, it's proved to me what the cause is, for me, and it's just not worth feeling so bad for a slice of toast or piece of cake. The bonus was losing a stone very easily without trying. Have a healthy New Year everyone. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Great that you have found the cause of your problems! So, would your diet be like the paleo diet? What would a typical day's meals consist of fo you?

• Posted

That's great news glad you've found the answer to your problems could you please share the sort of things you had to eat every day this. Oilfield be very helpful to other members of this group

• Posted

Hi, it's not a particular diet just one that suits me, Low carb, no carb, no processed foods, bread, biscuits, cakes or potatoes. Typical day would be, full fat greek youghurt, homemade compote with xylitol for sweetness, and a sprinkling of Lizi's Granola. Lunch hummous with carrots for lunch, and Med Veg with Salmon for dinner. Dr Kargs crispbread for a snack, you only need one as they are filling with cheese if needed. I never feel hungry and don't miss the bread etc. It's arelief to get back to it after Christmas eating. Hope this helps.   

• Posted

Yep I "over enjoyed" Christmas  too - going out for lunch and had wine. So taking me a while to get back to where I was prior. I was thinking of doing the low carb thing as well as it helped me early last year. I wasn't sure that it was coincidence, but now that you have noted the difference will def go back to it. Thanks for sharing your experience

• Posted

Thanks for sharing this! It gives me hope and inspiration to try it.

Besides the examples you gave can you give some more on what else you eat? It's so hard for me to come up with food ideas. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi, I tend to eat chicken, turkey bolognese , mushroom stacks with aubergine slices, softened in pan then diced tomatoes and onion with a sprinkling of cheese then baked, anything with peppers, ratatouille, etc. Baked apple with pecans and creme fraiche. I can now eat tomatoes which i couldn't before. Hope that gives some ideas. Good luck.    

• Posted

Hi forgot to say I spiralise a lot with courgettes and carrots, and eat cauliflower mash instead of potatoes with all other vegetables.
    • Posted

Yes thanks! It sounds delicious!

I'm going to cut out carbs and see if it helps. Ive read about the theory of SIBO causing gerd and LPR. That all the carbs are fermenting and causing acid to come up. So maybe that was what happened when you cut out the carbs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.