my story of my knee op going badly wrong

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi im new to the forum i thought id like to give hope to some of you as ive had bi lateral knee replacements in december 2012 my tibia {chin bone}was fractured during surgery on one of my knees which left me with only toe touching for6 wks on that leg extreeme pain which resulted in very little bend on that knee ,3 months later with intensive physio still no bend beond 70 degrees ,then i had a grinding and giving way on my knee xray showed broken cement so more surgery to remove it , after opening the same scar it was just as painfull with still no real bend 6 months later i had mua keyhole it worked for a short while to bend but didnt last so last august (9mths ago) i had revision knee replacement with a different surgeon and was only given 15% chance of improvement .it was worth it .i have to say it was such hard work i was told if i get 90%it would be a success im only back from physio and had95%myself and after a push had100% which is fab my straightening is also a problem but it has stretched from 14%off straight to 8% so im getting there and pain has eased so much its not constant its been a long 2and a half years and alot of deep depression but my motivation got me there dont give up and dont accept that a revision wont improve it ,go see another surgeon if your not happy . im 57 yrs old i felt like an old lady i couldnt accept being a cripple im now gone back to sport taking it slowley

5 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh my word you've been through the mill you poor thing, but well done for your perseverance and I'm so glad that life is now improving! A very dear friend of mind who has supported me through my TKR also had a bad experience with her TKR and it took over two years to rectify! Her first operation involved the replacement being inserted totally incorrectly when the junior was allowed to get involved and the second operation to correct the problem, carried out entirely by the consultant, also went horribly wrong! Then she insisted on going to another NHS hospital to see another consultant who finally did a good job in fitting a replacement! She's now 100% recovered and happy!

Take care.

• Posted

it just shows that some surgeons are not up to the job ,but they dont have to live with the consequences,my first one was also inserted off line so i had no hope with it so glad your friend is so good ,if im not totaly 100% i wont mind as long as im not in pain as i find if straightening or bend is not happening it definatly results in pain so that should tell anyone going through this to make sure to get  the best bend and straightening you can
  • Posted

Wow Linda, you are a strong lady. I am so glad that there is a significant difference this time around.
  • Posted

I feel for you. Did they do a revision on both knees again? I pushed & pushed for a 2nd opinion, & I am only 7+ months down the line. My untrasound at 4 months showed the knee was out by 6mm, it buckles ALL the time. I still can't go up (certainly can't go down) my stairs (& I live in a 3 storey house), can't get dressed without pain, can't sleep, can't walk far,  - the list goes on & on.I'm fed-up with pill-popping, but I have to do it to get through each day. I had my 2nd opinion almost 2 months ago, & on June 4th, I have to tell him if I agree to a revision, or plod on for a full year (which is what I think they like you to do.) I can't stand it, & will go for the revision. He's had the conversation with me re 15% of revisions don't improve it etc etc....but I actually now know of 9 people, including folk off this forum, who have had revisions, & all are so much better. I'm hoping lightning won't strike twice.
    • Posted

hi veronica so sorry for you its so hard when your not progressing and it feels like everybody else is.first id say to yuo that i live in ireland here they wont go back to do it again till a year and a half after it has been done its to do with the healing of bone ,so you are being put on the long finger i know i was it wasnt till after the op that i found that out ,also i only had revision on one of my knees thank god the other one was fine ,it kinda had to be i had to use that so much when the other was so bad  to be honest i hardly gave the other one a thought i too couldnt walk far always looking for somewhere to sit i stopped going out sociely too because i couldnt sit comfortably and i couldnt enjoy because of pain i couldnt wait to go home .i was on alot of meds and hated it now im nearly off meds as i became dependent on them so dont worry if you do just get a better surgeon that is confident that he can do it ,you are right its worth going back my gp  told me to go for it and im glad i did its hard work and im proof of that the best of luck to you
    • Posted

Hello linda - I couldn't face waiting another 10 months for them to put my knee right. Today has been agony. I have the grandkids every other weekend, & it floors me (they are 4 & 6, so need constant entertaining & watching!) I have various swellings from it being oversized on the top, it bites into my soft tissue. The lumps are huge today that even the kids noticed. I have just taken them back, & have an icepack over the damage - I feel like I could sleep for a week - but that too is wishful thinking! I've talked to a man who had a revision 7 months after the op. (i am already 8 months almost, so I guess I will have to wait at least another month) he is so pleased with the result, & regularly does 18 rounds of golf & the revision is less than a year ago. BTW - we have friends who are going home to Ireland after many years in Lincoln, they have bought a home in Belturbet, as they have a little cabin cruiser moored near there. We intend to visit! (if I can ever walk properly again!)
    • Posted

i hope they do you soon i had such a hard time to convince them to do it again i cant see why they resist especially when people are in such pain lets face it you wouldnt be going back unless you were desperate i too have a grandchild and she is 3 and often says granny you cant run because you have a sore knee i mind her a few days a week and they are hard work always wanting your attension so i can understand your frustration ,im also playing pitch and putt (shorter version of golf)a few times a week and won captains prize last weekend its been fantastic to be back on the course again
  • Posted

Well done Linda.

What a journey.  I feel blessed that mine went so well after having bilateral knees. I live in Australia & am so grateful to have had such a wonderful surgeon, anaesthetist & physio support.  10 weeks post op now & so happy, but realise still a long way to go.  

Good luck to you all. Exercise frequently. drink lots of water, ice, meds, & did I mention exercise?

• Posted

well done so pleased for you ,i feel if he didnt break my leg doing one id have got over it better plus there is no apologies that ive just ruined your life  they dont have to live with it .10 wks post op and your doing fine id say that is a result !!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Linda! What a star you are! So full of admiration for you persevering through all that pain and difficulty. I've had none of the serious additional troubles you've had, but there are still days when I feel really sorry for myself and downhearted about the future. maybe no-one except TKRs and the like really know what it is we have to go through!! And like lots on this forum have said, people can only stand so much"knee talk" before the glazed look appears!!!!! Hey its good we can care for each other on this forum. All the very best to you x

• Posted

ahh tess thanks so much for your kind words. your right ive lost so many friends or so called friends ,strangers have become friends and friends have becume strangers  so many people say ah your grand now sure you have the new one or they say my friend had a new knee but he did all the excersises and he is perfect god they have no idea and i dont even try to explain they couldnt possibly understand how difficult it is and how some of their flippent comments hurt and p*ss you off  thank god im still here as i didnt want to go on so many times but this forum is so great

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.