My story on citalopram

Posted , 9 users are following.

I wanted to share my journey on citalopram to hopefully help people and to encourage them when taking anti depressants.

So it all started last may. I started getting severe shooting pains in the side of my head. The shooting pains turned into unbearable migraine. The migraine lasted weeks. The doctor prescribed me codine, but all that did was numb the pain for a short time and made me extremely dosile and I always felt high.

The pain was always there. It never went away. It would stop me from doing daily tasks and I had to cancel on friends all of the time. I had no social life and could no longer attend university anymore because of the pain I was constantly in.

I eventually had no choice but to drop out of university. I was on my last year too. My mental health was at an all time low.

I developed severe health anxiety (hypercondria) when I had pains in my head I was convinced I has a brain tumour. When my heart skipped a beat out of time, I was convinced I was having a heart attack and had to be taken to a&e. When I was tired I thought I was going brain dead and when I couldn't warm up I thought I was getting hyperthermia. I know it sounds crazy and hilarious, but at the time it was awful.

It was one of the worst times of my life. I self harmed all of the time and thought about suicide regularly.

I begged my gp to refer me to a nerologist because I was fed up of them prescribing tablets that were only numbing the pain for a little while. I needed something more productive.

After weeks of begging, they got me a referal, bit the appointment wasn't for another eight months.

I couldn't physically wait that long. I wanted to die and my dad was prepared to help me in any way he could. So he told me to get private care and he would pay. Although it was expensive he insisted so I booked an appointment and got seen almost straight away.

The nerologist suggested I go on citalopram (the anti depressant I was previously on) because it helps supreme head pain and I have been on it previously and it helped me before.

I really didn't want to go on them because I thought if I go back on them, I would have to be on them for life and it would numb my emotions.

After some consideration I decided to go back on them. Starting on 10mg. I was scared to take them because at this point my health anxiety had gotten so bad that I wouldn't even dare eat fatty food because I was scared my heart would beat too fast and I would die. So I was really sceptical about taking the pill.

I took it the next morning. The first day was rather scary. I remember my friends came to visit me and I remember saying hardly anything. I felt so zombie like and couldn't even open my eyes properly. I couldn't keep down any meal and my appetite was dead. And this was only the first day!

The next couple of days were pretty much the same. One time I was in the car with my dad and one momemt I felt amazing like everything was better, a minute later I felt like I was going to have a panic attack and a minute after that I thought I was going to throw up! I would have disturbed sleep patterns and would become zombie like. Not wanting to do anything but lay there. I pretty much just stayed in for 3 weeks straight only surrounded by my dad, my brother and cat. It was a rocky 3 weeks to say the least. I would cry at the slightest thing and become really needy. Also would get really bad dry mouth. I lost weight because I never was hungry. But for the first time I felt pain free. But then the pain kept returning and vise versa.

Time went on and things slowly got easier and more bearable. The side effects wore off and the pain eventually decreased with it.

I finally felt happy and pain free in the first time I could imagine in forever.

I started going out with friends more, meeting new people, going out at night (I couldn't do this before due to my anxiety), playing guitar, writing songs, playing gigs. Things were like they used to be. Yes things aren't perfect and I probably will be on these for years to come and it has numbed certain emotions down. Like for example, I don't feel jealousy, and don't get excited like I used to. But I can now do daily tasks with ease and although some days I still feel a slight pain, I can deal with it much better and it's no where near as painful as it was before.

I wrote this for people just staring to come on anti depressants. Because I know it can feel unbearable at first, and can do for a whlie. It is not by any means an over night process and the side effects can be horrendous, but stick it out. Make sure you're surrounded by loved ones if you decide to come on anti depressants. And the struggle will be worth while. Its probably one of the best decisions I have ever made coming on citalopram again.

I call them my little drops of joy aha smile

5 likes, 333 replies

333 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

This is gods to read. 

I am into my 6th week and still having low moods and anxiety especially when it gets dark or I'm not around my mum. Silly really because I have two children and a wonderful fiancé and lovely home but it just feels alien to me at the moment.

How long did it take for you to start seeing a benefit from it Yasmin? And when you started thinking more clearly? Xx

• Posted

Ahh its so amazing to hear you've come out of the other side of what sounds like a truely horrible time! Its so reasurring to read posts like this, reading these success stories is pretty much the only thing that got me through in the early days x

• Posted

Hi bethanie. How are you getting on? 

I'm still struggling with this mind chatter. It's like whatever I do is a battle in the sense that my mind is telling me it's not real. Or I'm constant checking in to see if I'm anxious. Like my thought process is stuck in this constant loop xx

• Posted

Hi Rox..  I know I'm not part of your conversation and my son is the one on this med.  But many years ago I battled panic attacks and severe anxiety and it got to the point that I gave myself anxiety if there was a moment I wasn't feeling anxious wondering why I don't have it and when will I get another panic attack.  I made myself nuts.  So bad I had to spit out my saliva because I thought if I'd swallowed it, I'd choke. 

It look a long time to convince myself that nobody dies of an anxiety attack no matter how bad it is. 

• Posted

Hi Rox,

Im getting on okay, just keep pushing myself to do things that make me panic. Been xmas shopping again today and only felt panicky for a few minutes then i forgot to panic if that makes sense. I totally understand what your going through im still doing the same but through the weeks it has got quieter, i cant remember if you said you was doing cbt? That will definitely help you with the thoughts it will teach you the way to think and how to deal with the thoughts its also supposed to help for life i think if i hadnt had it all those years ago i would be a lot worse now. It takes time but you will get through it, there are so many success stories about that help,it just reassures you.  I just keep arguing with myself all the time, every bad thought i think yeah whatever shut up and all sorts sounds strange but it has helped. I try to see my depression and anxiety as little monsters/creature on my shoulder that get bigger everytime i believe what they're saying and i try to imagine them getting smaller everytime i counteract the thoughts. Its in our heads we are the only people that can control it, we need to fight back the power of our heads lol. Sorry for the long reply hope it helps x

• Posted

Hi. How did You overcome this? I'm really struggling with it. I can physically do things but it's constantly going round my head. Sometimes All day. Xx

• Posted

I wish I knew.  It just got better with time.  It started with me thinking I was having a heart attack and ended up in the ER.  The doctor told me I had a panic attack and the anxiety literally never went away.  I'm on this site because my son is on this med, but I used to take Xanax and saw a psychologist once a week.  Xanax is just a quick fix, but Celexa is more like a cure.  It took me a long time, probably close to 2 years.  It was all in my head.  I constantly panicked about what's going to stop me from panicking.  It s*cks feeling that you're losing control of your life and your mind.  I kept reminding myself that nobody dies from anxiety and I forced myself to continue to live my life.  I would run in my car when the anxiety got so bad because to me, it was my safe zone.  What helped was finding out what triggered the anxiety in the first place. 

• Posted

Same exact thing happened to me JoJo.the heart attack .went to the er and all my test came back negative.i wish they would of gave zanex in the er.because I let it be and it just got worst in like three months...this time my anxiety was real physical with pains in my head . adrenaline everywhere.. horrible ..don't wish this upon anybody...

• Posted

I never shared my story before because this is really about anxiety and Celexa and I never heard of any of these meds before.  I guess it's the area I live in, every woman I know has a vile of Xanax on them.  It's like carrying a bottle of Advil. 

It was the worst time of my life and I guess everyone on this site has experienced that same thing or we wouldn't be here.  If I left home without my Xanax, that put me into a panic that my throat felt like it was closing and I was being suffocated. 

I can't remember having any of those physical pains.  I never knew that could happen.

• Posted

Well the throat closing must of been a nightmare..all I knew it felt like I was dying...you gotta be a strong woman..that's alot you have on your plate...more power to you...

• Posted

Lois...  I won't be back on here until later.  My dad is in the hospital.  Not sure yet if it's heart failure or a heart attack.  Leaving work in a little bit and going to the hospital to see my dad. 

Have a great day and we'll chat later..

• Posted

Omg.saying a prayer for your dad.and your family..
  • Posted

What a great story yasmin.   You've been through a lot and so glad you survived it all and can help others here.

Jo x 

• Posted

It’s so amazing to hear the positive stories from this medication! And I’m glad it worked for you! 

If I could ask I’m on 10mg. I feel much better, but I’m still having depersonalization, low mood (somewhat), and random moments. I’ve been on it 6 weeks. Could it take longer?

• Posted

Hi Yasmin I've just posted my story as a newbie to this site, I can relate in many ways to what you have wrote it's hard as other people who are fine don't understand the inner feelings that are felt keep strong

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.