My surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

FINALLY, ive been given my date for my gallbladder removal surgery! I cant tell you how happy i am about this. 27th of this month. All i can say is keep calling them! 8th of august i was admitted to hospital and after that they told me 10 days and id get my date. I had heard not a dicky bird since then. So i left it. Finally id had enough and called them today. A couple hours later they rang me back with my date. How i wish i had called them sooner! So glad ive noe got my date and soon i will be out of pain and be able to eat all food hopefully!

Anyways my question is, whats it like after surgery? How painful is the aftermath? Is their any advice anyone to give for good recovery?

Thanks in advance x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather 

That is good news !      Who did you ring ?  Was it the  appointment  phone  number  ?

I'm  in need  of  surgery  now  as suffering  so  much  pain and can't eat  a thing without  pain

and  sweats.

Let us know how you get on. 

• Posted

Hi linda,

At first i called the ward that i was admitted to. Which was the surgically assessment unit. They told me to call my consultant that was on my case (the surgeon who discharged me basically). So i called switch board again and gave them the name of my consultant. They transfered me over. She said i was near the top of the list as id had obstructive jaundice perviously so i was down as urgent. Then said it would probably be 3-4 weeks. Then about 2 hours later she phoned me back with the date!

Have you been admitted to hospital at all or have a surgical consultant?

Hope you soom get your much needed surgery. They dont rush this type of operation as its not seen as urgent enough. But i dont think they realise how painful gallstones actually are!

• Posted

HI Heather just take it easy after surgery, walk around your home to get rid of the gas and take pain relief for a few days afterwards. I didn't eat for a couple of days and just drank fluids as I still felt quite sick because of the anaesthetic and then just ate small amounts of what I felt like, just plain foods, jacket potatoes, toast, rice, pasta etc. 

Don't rush the healing process, even though the outside incisions look good everything will take alot longer on the inside so don't over stretch or lift anything. 

I went back to work after 3 weeks and was driving then but only a few hours at a time as you'll get tired very quickly.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but just take your time and don't expect too much of yourself too soon, it is major surgery don't forget despite the small incisions.

Good luck and take it easy. x

• Posted

Hi Katherine,

Thank you for the grrat advice! The only issue i have is that i have a 6 month old daughter, who is a bit of a lump haha. My partner can only take a week off work as hes self employed so no work=no pay. Also i have to take my som to school etc. So do you think after a week ill be able to lift my daughter and take me son to school (pushing a pram)? Or should i ask my sister fir help for a couple extra weeks?

Thank you x

• Posted

Hi Heather, 

After eight months of pain, I finally had surgery two weeks ago. My gallbladder pain is now gone! The best advice I could give you is to make sure the doctor gives you a prescription for nausea. I was so sick when I got home and wasn't given a prescription for the nausea. 

Each day will get a little better. I'm back to work after two weeks, but could have used another week due to a setback from carrying heavy groceries. Be sure to take it easy and don't lift anything over 20 lbs for the first three weeks if you don't have to.  Best of luck to you! 

Jackie

• Posted

That's great news and fingers crossed that everything goes well and a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.