My symptoms - DD

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all 

Just been diagnosed last week with DD and almost finishing medication (Amoxicillin and Metronidazole).  

For years I've had stomach issues and was diagnosed with IBS and many years ago I suffered badly with constipation (which seems to have an effect on developing DD later I think?) however last few years on and off had severe abdominal/pelvic pain and had lots of tests proving nothing aside from acid reflux.  

I also however suffer from swollen throat glands when I get run down/stressed and recently this flared up just before I had this intense pain which prompted my visit to GP who said it's DD.  I also had a temperature.  

So a week of rest, antibiotics and ibuprofen and I feel almost human again.  

However, the one thing puzzling me is the swollen throat glands?  Are these a symptom of this as I don't think so?  

The abdominal pain I had this past week was the worst it's ever been and on top of the pain I look and feel completely wiped out and severely exhausted - do any of you have this too?  I literally will just be so exhausted I just can't function and sleep more too.  

I've noticed in the past that one day I'm fine then literally I wake up the next morning and bang I'm wiped out but I've never assumed it's a gastro thing as it's previously been swollen throat glands.  

Sorry for the rambling waffle just trying to see if there is any link in my symptoms.  

Had some stomach pain this morning but I definitely am feeling better and bloating/gurgling all died down.  

Been trying to stay on bland food, water, vegetables and probiotics and live yoghurt.  

Any help/advice is much appreciated.  

Thaks 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

HI Anna91065,

All of the symptoms sounds familiar except the swollen gland's because I never had that one. That may be a separate issue dealing with your Thyroid. You should get that checked out. However, the bland diet along with the probiotics will definitely get your system back up to speed. Try to rest and avoid stress that plays a big part in triggering a flare up.

Hope this has helped some. Take care!

• Posted

Thank you for your message and I think stress has been a big factor in my life and causing this.    I've noticed when stressed I also get that knot in my stomach.  I'm 58 so need to slow down too I think!  

May I ask what probiotics anyone recommends - if you are allowed to on here ?  

• Posted

I haven't had gland problems but I feel tired a lot I put it down to my age I was 70 last month but maybe it's DD I wake up some days and I am fine and positive but other days I feel ill bad stomach pains and diarrhoea. It's awful hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Some days that happens to me, wake up fine and full of energy then other days wake up exhausted but I am going to try to find a balance and realise I need to reduce the stress in my life and take it easy more.  

Hope you are feeling ok today and thank you for your message.  

• Posted

I know what you mean about stress. One of my daughters phoned me last night carrying on about her sister I think this played a part in how I am today x
  • Posted

I certainly understand your frustration. When I get the flair up I too am wiped out and get depressed. I have had symptoms and flair ups on and off for at least 15 years. No swollen glands though that I have noticed. Does the antibiotics take the swollen glands away? I have taken amoxicillin and it does not work for me. I take cipro and flagel. It is debilitating a disease and you just want it to go away. Thank god for antibiotics. I was hospitalized recently because of it. M.j.

• Posted

So sorry. Swollen glands are about the only thing I haven't had. 

• Posted

I urge you to see a doctor regarding the swollen glands.  I never heard that associated with diverticulitis.  I think it would be wise to make sure there is nothing else going on.  Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi there Anna,not heard of the gland thing before,but you shouldnt be taking Ibuprofen,this contributes to DD,just take paracetamol.A bland diet is good then slowly introduce fiber,a fiber supplement would help like Fybogel from Chemist  or Regucol from Holland & Barratt.

• Posted

I'd been taking Ibuprofen at first !  Not now!  Thanks for the recommendations !  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.