My TURP experience - part 1

Posted , 3 users are following.

Note: I made a long post Sunday morning and got a message saying it needed to be "moderated" but it never showed up. This time I will cut it into smaller segments.

Section 1: I had a TURP on 2/20. Here's is some background data: 70 years old, BMI 21.6, BPH symptoms for 7 or 8 years and bladder spasms for almost 20 years. On doxazosin for 5 or 6 years (gave me retro-no big deal). Prostate not large (est. 50g) but with a large median lobe protruding into my bladder. Flow was poor and PVR was 60ml. I generally got up twice per night unless I drank a lot after dinner. Daytime frequency was my biggest complaint which made traveling sometimes inconvenient. I rarely passed up a chance to use the restroom! I had two prior transurethral surgeries to remove bladder tumors (one cancerous, one not). In the last 18 months, I have had a prostate biopsy (negative) and 4 cystoscopies and none caused me any undue discomfort. Despite this, I consider myself to be in pretty good health!

After doing a considerable amount of research, I decided I was more comfortable sticking with my regular urologist (30 years experience) than traveling to someone who does a different procedure that may or may not produce better results. My doctor uses what I believe is the currently popular version of the TURP, i.e., bipolar (in saline), loop electrode to start and then a plasma button to smooth out the surface and cauterize any bleeders. The surgery was scheduled for 1:45.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

  • Posted

    Section 2: Day 0 (Wednesday)

    Awoke at 5:15 so I could eat breakfast before the 8 hour pre-surgery fast. Checked into the hospital at 11:45 and by 12:15 or so I was in a gown in the pre-op room with an IV in my right hand. Since I had a slight cold the anesthesiologist wanted a white blood cell reading so I got stuck in the left arm. WBC and temp were normal. They gave me 2 Tylenols, not sure why. At 2:00 the surgical nurse came to get me. She said she would inject some Versed into my line to relax me. That's the last thing I remember until I woke up in recovery at 3:30. CBI (continuous bladder irrigation) was underway via a 3-way catheter and they drained 1000-1300 ml of cranberry juice-colored fluid every hour or so. The doctor told me everything went well. I was wheeled into my room for the overnight stay about 4:45. They checked my vitals (BP, pulse, temperature) every hour when they emptied the catheter bag. I had occasional bladder spasms but they never last more than a minute or two. After my wife left, I ate dinner and watched TV. At 11, they did the last hourly check of the vitals and said they would go to 4 hour intervals. At 11:45, I turned off the TV and the lights for the night. Still awake at 12:15, I asked for sleeping pill and that worked. No pain whatsoever.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Section 3: Day 1 (Thursday)

    They woke me a 4:00 a.m. to check my vitals but I was able to fall back asleep until about 7. Had some breakfast and watched TV. At 8:30, the nurse clamped the catheter outflow, instilled 300ml into my bladder, let the water out of the balloon and pulled out the catheter. It stung but only lasted a second or two. I started drinking lots of water. About 10, I void about 25ml into a measurement container. It stung quite a bit and felt like I was squeezing the cranberry-colored urine throught a small opening. Over the next few hours, I voided several times, never more than 60ml. The doctor came by around 1, said everything was normal and I would experience frequency, urgency and red or pink urine for a couple weeks. He recommended Azo for the burning. He discharged me and said he would see me in 2 weeks. Called my wife to pick me up and finally exited the hospital at about 2:30. Got a warm hug from the attractive 50-something day nurse that made a nice end to my stay.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Posted section 3 and got a reply saying it is "waiting to be moderated." It contained no links.

    Section 4: Day 2 (Friday)

    I got up 8 times during the night but voided only a little each time. The bladder spasms woke me up. I have been on oxybutinen for 15+ years for bladder spasms but these are too strong for the medicine to suppress. Still feels like I'm having to pee through a small orifice. I'm sure everything is still a little swollen. The Azo is working and the burning is greatly reduced. Turns the pee a very bright yellow. I get a little reddish-yellow ooze out the urethra after I finish so I'm wrapping some toilet paper around the tip to keep my underwear (relatively) clean. Drinking more than usual and therefore voiding more than usual.

    Day 3 (Saturday)

    Got up 3 times last night which is just once more than usual. Bladder spasms have subsided a lot. If I wait too long to void, the spasms get very strong and I run to the bathroom. Flow still slow and pee bright yellow (from the Azo). Went to a concert Saturday night and was 1 hour 45 minutes between bathroom visits. That resulted in the first visible blood in about 24 hours.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Thanks for the post Lee. Wishing you a speedy recovery and please keep us posted on your progress. Curious, what country are you in?

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up