My Uro says I should get a TURP, though he refuses to investigate my BPH symptoms.

Posted , 17 users are following.

My urologist only does TURPs. The only investigation to my BPH symptoms have been cystoscopies and DRE. When I asked him if I can get a ultrasound to measure my PV, he said I didn't need it only a TURP. Since you won't investigate any further should I find another urologist?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I find strange to do a TURP without assessing the size of the prostate. I underwent a partial TURP (ablation of the median lobe only) because I didn't want the problems associated with a full TURP (retro ejaculation and possible incontinence). The pain was so intense that I would feel waves of heat going up in my body with the pain while urinating and I was peeing needles for 6 weeks. The outcome was a very mild and insufficient improvement. Facing the necessity of a full TURP, I explored the various alternate possibilities. I had a PAE by Dr Bagla at the Vascular Institute of Virginia. Compared to the TURP, it was a breeze. I was back to my hotel room the day of the PAE at 12 PM, had lunch at the restaurant the next day and was visiting the National Gallery in DC the day after. The pain was very mild. I suffered mostly of constipation. If you do it, make sure you take 3 stool softener pills a day for two days prior to the procedure. The PAE was a total success. The heavy symptoms (reflux into the kidneys, recurrent UTIs), and the necessity to self catheterize every night were over within a month. It took my condition to were it was twenty five years before. Two and a half years later, my condition is still excellent. PAE works well with large prostates (mine was 90 grams). I won't hesitate to do it again if the symptoms return. My advice: explore the PAE before you have a TURP.

• Posted

I think that when the BPH is with median lobe obstruction with protrusion into the bladder, the total size is less of an issue. That condition can be seen through a flexible cystscopy. Still, a urodynamics evaluation and scan with rectal prob should be done to obtain a good estimate of PVR.

• Posted

I wanted to go on a PAE trial in another County and asked my GP to do the appropriate referrals. The GP practice refused. I went ballistic and argued the point about choice. Luckily my Radiologist managed to get the funding from his County so I was able to have everything funded, not including my initial consultation with a Urologist in that County I had to pay for that. Subsequently My County agreed to follow up consultations, but they were hardly worth it frankly. My junior consultant had never heard of Gat Goren!!

Push the point, find out which of your nearest Counties have alternatives, particularly PAE, which is now NICE approved. Squeeky hinge gets the oil.

• Posted

Johnny:

Always best to get a 2nd opinion then, after you decide what's best for you, fight for the procedure You want done to Your body.

Regards,

Raffie

• Posted

Hi All!!

These sites get bigger and bigger and a lot to keep abreast of. I see a lot of the same participants here and I probably repeat myself with something that may be irrelevant with you lucky people with options.

My moderate BPH went from 1990 with bladder neck muscle altering alpha blockers 2006 to 2015 and risky Dutasteride(5ARI) + Tamsulosin (another blocker) 2013>2014. PCa and Open RP 2015.

I continue to lawn bowl with many BPH PCa aged associates. Just like checking out scars on knees for getting my facts about replacements I keep up to date with any prostate problem stories.

Every BPH here in Aussie has been treated with medications or TURP. It all comes down to money. We have a Medicare system funded from an income surcharge. This was supposed to cover all but has come down to mainly supporting those the government is responsible for. The rest need to privately insure at around $5,000pa. Our population is aging and the majority of retirees were never required to contribute towards their post employment sustenance and maintenance. Our economy needs immigration and foreign investment to get close to balance. Some months back our Treasurer, now PM said immigration added $6bn pa and stamp duty on sale of homes, farms and business to foreign residents on top of that actual capital inflow does its bit. Our infrastructure cannot keep pace.

Concern at what I still believe to be a possible cancer risk of 5ARIs and the unresearched double dose of alpha blockers affect on my ongoing incontinence. Not knowing if my Polymyalgia Rheumatica and immune system is involved. I sent several hundred emails and letters to politicians and got only a couple of useless responses. Men here need to get better BPH data collection and research for proper treatment for BPH. I suspect even our current inappropriate treatment may even diminish due to costing blow-outs as time marches on. It seems something similar may be affecting treatments elsewhere.

Barrie H

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.