My Urologist says "prostatitis" does not exist, what to do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I get really , really bad UTI's that give no symptoms and eventually move up to the kidneys and cause hospitalization. Went through 1.5 years with zero answers except "some urinary retention" so sent to a Urologist. He prescribed me Flomax. Infections continues. This song and dance goes on for 6 more mths. where he prescribes, at my urging since he said it was BPH and only BPH, avodart. This helps and cuts down infections from 12 per year to 1 per year. Problem is , with these medications my infections are clearly caused by too much sex. I'll explain: My wife has to sometimes take contract work  400 KM away. When she is away I have to go visit and we fit in 6 mths. of sex in 1 week. When I get back home I get an infection guaranteed. My urologist insists, absolutely insists, the sex has nothing to do with the onset of the infections. It's only coincidence. However the last 4 infections I had on Flomax/Avodart have come after my "visit". I really don't get what's going on here: My personal experience is far off from what the urologist says. He also said prostatitis doesn't exists. I have BPH and that's the end of the story but yet he can't explain why I am still getting infections even though my prostate is in normal range and I take flomax.

Any thoughts?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you gotten a second opinion? If your wife is away for long periods of time perhaps she is giving you infections she gets from someone else.
    • Posted

Don't know if you want to turn this into Jerry Springer but when they screen for the  bacteria they do a detailed blood test and urine culture. Also considering it's 100% a bladder infection that can not be a STD I am confident it's not her. You do understand the difference between an UTI and a STD correct?

• Posted

Hi Sam,

It's very possible that she has a uti that is giving her no symptoms. As you point out, that would not be something she got from someone else. All people have many kinds of bacteria and viruses in their bodies. Usually they are kept in balance by other bacteria and viruses, but the bacteria and viruses that are keeping them in balance in her body may not even be in your body. If you are having oral sex with her, that can create more problems because a person's mouth has more bacteria and viruses than most any other part of the body, because we have bits of food in that nice, warm, dark environment which is a wonderful place for them to grow.

My wife and I had a similar problem where every time we had oral sex, she got a uti. Finally her gynecologist put her on a long-term antibiotic, and she now douches with a vinegar solution each time after a sexual encounter.

You BOTH need to see a good gynecologist/urologist, and probably both need to be treated, and you need to fire the one you have been seeing.

Neal

• Posted

My urologist said it virtually impossible for a male to get a UTI from a female. Besides, I use a condom. Always do. Don't want to get anyone pregnant.

• Posted

If you use the condom for the entire encounter, touching with her hand, oral sex, and intercourse, then I agree that it would be difficult for you to get it from her, but your doctor is mistaken about not getting a uti from a woman, or her from you. Check that with another doctor.

Also, there is another possibility. Your sexual behavior sounds vigorous as you describe it. That can cause very minor injuries to your urinary tract, and wake up a smoldering infection that you might be carrying.

Neal

• Posted

Please don't think I'm a crazy man.  Wear white underwear, washed in bleach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.