My weight keeps dropping with anxiety

Posted , 7 users are following.

Whilst I would look on any weight loss, as a positive, I am beginnign to get worried lost  6 lbs in a week and half.  Is this normal pse

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What is your dietary intake like sweetie? What are you eating in a week? Are you on any medication for anxiety?
  • Posted

Thanks Arwen not on any medication but just dont find any food enticing if you know what I mean, with my anxiety in the morning and afternoon it is normally teatine that I eat.  Yesterday a bought a ready meal and had 3 forkful and then threw it away and had a banana and a bowl of cereal.  I have hunger pains but my mind wont accept anything and when I do eat I feel sick afterwoods. 

• Posted

OK, thanks for that. I honestly think that the best thing that you can do is to chat with your GP over this. There is no shame all in reaching out for help and even less shame in needing to take medication to get yourself back on track. You've displayed a lot of strength in talking about the issue here.x
  • Posted

Hi Joyce,

I don't know if that's gonna help or not but when I have a very bad spell of anxiety I am unable to eat. I just want to vomit, shaky, derealisation, feel like I'm going insane... It usually lasts a good month or two and I lose weight extremely quickly too. Lost a stone in under 3 weeks but doc told me not to worry about that as this is what happens during fight or flight. I manage to eat when I feel relaxed which obviously is rare when my anxiety is bad. After a few weeks, it goes and I'm back to normal and put the weight back on.

Good luck and try not to worry too much x

• Posted

Hi Babette thanks for that.  I dont think I would stay sane if I had anxiety that lasted months.  Brave girl x

• Posted

Thank you for all your posts lovely information x

• Posted

Hi Joyce,

whilst i did lose a bit of my appetite due to my anxiety/depression my partner has been off her food for a few days now (my recent crash ended up with her on ADs because of the stress) as long as you are maintaining a certain amount of calories you should be okay but as you suffer with anxiety your lack of energy might cause fatigue which might increase your anxiety. My partner has started using slim fast shakes because she finds them easier to get down. Hope this helps

• Posted

I have said this before on a post don't know which one but I have gone from size 14-12 to size 8-6 withing months I told doctors they are not concerned and with stress going on it seems it automatically makes you lose weight my nana also has severe anxiety and depression has also lost massive of weight from it I eat loads and can't put it on no more . My nana has actually lost her appitie so that's where her weight loss is from they is many things in amxiety that can cause weight gain or loss hunnie
    • Posted

Steph thanks for that its the only plus point in all this.

• Posted

I lost 12lbs in 3 weeks before I was put on medication. Weightloss is common with depression and anxiety, in the case of anxiety is can be due to you buring energy as you are constantly moving, & the fight-or-flight mechanism of your body can be sped up so you burn energy faster.

I resorted to drinking nutritional milk called Nurishment to at least keep my body fuelled when I couldn't eat do to my depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.