my wife will not accept I have depression

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Has anyone ever experienced their partner not accepting diagnosis. I have always been strong and in control, and being like that meant I never let out my feelings, my wife keeps saying get a grip and making me feel bad for getting help. Then she makes sarcastic remarks like" oh your so called depression" this is making me feel quite belittled. Should I feel this

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi , you are the only person who knows how you feel, don't let anyone try to belittle you, or tell you what's happening to you . Today I was discharged by a psychiatrist from a mental health ward who called my wife I was just making it up, though he still prescribed anti psychotic drugs and much stronger anti depressants to treat my nothing !! Hang on try to look up descriptions of depression, it's not being a bit sad it's like all you want to do is to stop your head from spinning and you want to stop messing everyone else's lives and heads up if she would like to speak to someone (me) regarding depression please feel to message me . Hang on mate unlike the government we really in this together
  • Posted

I should have it out with your wife and tell her why she is upsetting or angering you.

get it off your chest and see how she responds.  Keep it two way and best of luck.

richard

• Posted

Have done but she dismiss it and says there are far worse off people in life, that just makes me feel pathetic
    • Posted

Its a pity that she is not more understanding Gaz.  You have to decide how to deal with this now without contnual upset. Good  luck

rich

• Posted

Not even going to sugar coat it...Shes rude and lacks compassion. Its not a game.im sorry for you. Maybe bring her to a therapist and they can explain it to her so she can understand it Since clearly she isnt aware of how it has been making you feel. Which is very strange in itself. Woman are usually the caretakers and nuturing ones. Maybe shes extremly busy and has not had the time to notice you were suffering? Maybe she will come around after shes educated on whats happening. I hope so for you. If she continues to be so ignorant even after she is educated on the situation you kind of need to reaccess who you are sharing your life with. Maybe shes has induced it if she is this nasty.
    • Posted

We have three kids and life is very busy, I started thinking how hard it is for her and how stressful being a working mum is but I do think I have a right to be listened to. I know I need to man up but at the same time expect some compassion
  • Posted

Yeah, after my best friend's parents died she suffered from severe depression, and it was during that time that her brother and I started seeing each other. He just couldn't accept the fact that mental illnesses played a vital role in determining the state of health. He and I argued a lot when it came to my best friend because I knew what she we going through but my boyfriend just couldn't understand until after 8 months of arguing and fighting with each other, and him having enormous conflicts with his sister that I decided to convince him to let her see a psych and also that he go with with her. You won't believe how much he has changed now, he has started to see things differently after visiting her psychiatrist and trying to see things the way the psych asked.

Consult a psychologist first take your wife with you, and if therapy doesn't help, visit a psychiatrist and make sure your wife goes too.

Stay strong, I can relate to how you might be feeling right now but The Almighty has a path set for you. Bless you!

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this. Unfortunately there are still so many people who don't believe in it or understand depressions. My experience isn't a positive one. My sons dad used to do the same to me, he did everything opposite to supporting me. Eventually I realised I couldn't get any better while I was with him and I left.

I hope she finally sees that you need her support. Good Luck

• Posted

oh my god, of course you should feel this. i know first hand what you are talking about. i get many sarcastic words from my family. well, they dont know any better. it took me a very, very long time to understand that no matter how much i explain myself to them, they were never gonna get it. it still hurts though. we are only human. i have come to understand that i  do not have a support system with them. i am learning to seek other opportunities that will help me. like right here. you know, it really takes a strong person to share like you did today. and your comment helped me to feel not so alone. so thanx. and you are stronger than you know.

good luck, feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.