Myomectomy laparotomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm almost 2 weeks post op and just looking for some guidance on recovery as the hospital didn't really say much when they discharged me other than no work for 6 weeks.

Everything O have read online talks about doing the exercises as set out by a physio but I never saw one? 

My wound seems to be healing nicely after a lot of pain and bruising but above it I have a thick band of skin that is really sticking out- is this swelling from all the tugging during surgery or does this stay? TIA x

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I had my open myomectomy 6 months ago and I don't remember the physio giving me specific exercises. I was told to walk around little and often but think this was mainly due to the fact I was on blood thinners due to a strong family history of dvt. It was more to do with housework... no hoovering for 6 weeks etc.

I too had a thick band of swelling following my surgery and it takes months to fully go down.

Hope your recovery continues to go well.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying. It's so nice to speak to people who have been through the same. Didn't even know about not hoovering for 6 weeks. I had a look on the British fibroid association website and that highlighted a few do's and dont's and that's all the info I have!

Really happy that the band goes down even if it does take months! 

Hope you recovered well too and are now symptom free x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey cally06077,

I'm due to have open myomectomy in a few weeks and I have been freaking out about it. Although I have received a lot of support from members of this group. Nonetheless I still have so many questions. How did the surgery turn out for you with regards to pain, scar etc? Did you have many fibroids? Also did you loose a lot blood? I was also wondering, what is the thick band of skin that you are referring to? I've read that some women end up with a little pouch above the incision; is this what you mean? As I'm really worried about getting this too. I'd really love to hear about your experience of the surgery. Have a lovely week. x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kay,

I am 26years old and had 5 fibroids, one of which was pushed through the womb wall so my womb was cut also. I didn't lose a lot of blood during the operation. The pain was nowhere near as bad as I imagined. It's more of a servere tightness but I didn't have to take any strong painkillers and was let out of hospital a day early. 

The bruising you get creates the thick band of swelling but mine went down wishing a number of months. 

Hope this helps. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Kay- the surgery went well but I haven't had a period since so I'm still not sure how if it has worked with regards to that.

I had one fibroid on the back of my womb and a ruptured ovary. I did have a lot of pain afterwards and was in the hospital for 3 nights in total. A lot of the pain was trapped wind which happens because they have to put a lot of air into the surgery site. Walking around helps so try to get up and about as soon as possible and ask the nurses for some peppermint water!

I'm 2 weeks post op now and the pain has eased a lot but still there. The band of swelling is going down so I'm hopeful that it will go completely with time. 

I didn't bleed a lot at all in the op or after but I had been taking Esmya Upilisteral for 3 months prior to my op as my consulatantbsaid it would help reduce blood loss during the op.

Best of luck to you, and remember the post op pain is worth it for the end result x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you  Ki2290,

I hope you're continuing to recover well. I'm curious to ask if the fact that the surgeon had to cut into your womb could affect conception in the future? I ask because my largest fibroid is blocking my left ovary and pressing on my bowel and bladder. I can really feel the pressure and mild/ dull pain in my left ovary most days. I also always feel heavy and bloated around my pelvis. I'm going ahead with the surgery because I don't want to face any issues when I'm trying to conceive in the next year or two. But sometimes I wonder if it's worth the pain and hassle, as plenty of women conceive with fibroids and I'm not bleeding heavily any more. Thank you for your response. How are you feeling in yourself now since having the fibroids removed? Also do you have a slight pouch above your incision? How long did it take for your swelling to go down?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The cutting into the womb wall doesn't affect having a normal pregnancy... but does mean you can't give birth naturally. And I am a quite a slim person and haven't got a pouch above my incision. 

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up