myomectomy last week - update!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all!

I wanted to write a positive post, as I’ve just had a myomectomy (last week) that it does get better.  My fibroid (Named Trevor) was 23 cm’s, plus another smaller one which nobody knew about!

I went to St Georges Hospital in London – they have a really good reputation and when a lot of other consultants wanted me to have a hysterectomy, these were different.  All the staff are so helpful and knowledgeable in this area.

I had it done last week and walking the next day.  Life pretty much gone back to normal (apart from a soreness every once in a while!)  Now there is the old ‘mothers apron’ – a nice way of describing the flap of skin that folds down on your stomach!  You should expect this to go as soon as the nerve endings come back.

The other thing they didn’t prepare me for is the trapped wind – this was probably the most painful thing!  Its very unladylike I know, but its gotta come out!  Does make your back and shoulders ache, but after a week its more or less gone.  Also, if you can stay off the morphine at the earliest opportunity, then do!  Its great for the pain, but made me feel a bit sick when it comes to moving about!

I just wanted to write this as I was really nervous and heard so many nightmare stories (which people are all too willing to share with you!) I cannot thank the hospital enough or praise it higher for their work on Fibroids.  It really is the best. xx

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Glad  you are feeling better and I hope these Fibroids dont return.. The wind id notmal after any operation.. I remember when I worked on the Gynae ward as aStudent Nurse offering the Peppermint Cocktail to all the Post Op Ladies.. Not sure if they do it now ? this was back in 1977. 
    • Posted

Yes, the peppermint cocktail is still there (and very nice too!) they were going to give me something to have a bowl movement too (which is not so nice, but really works) however, I beat them to it!!!!!

• Posted

That's good then!means it works the bowel is a very odd piece of Kit when its had an operation.. Wind like I have never heard it and Colic.
  • Posted

That's great to hear and so pleased it all went well. I am having an open myomectomy in 3 days and been so worried. I have a 15cm fibroid and have been worrying that I haven't made the right decision. It doesn't cause me any problems but my consultant does not want it to get any bigger. He didn't even mention a hysterectomy, in fact at first offered embolisation. However I just feel its best to get rid of it completely as that procedure can only reduce it by up to 50 per cent. 

Also been worried about looking after 2 young children following the procedure. My husband can only take 2 weeks off work. Sorry I'm going on as you can see am fretting!!

Your post is very reassuring. 

• Posted

That's so great - pleased I'm able to make you feel better biggrin

Trust me, you'll be turning cartwheels in a week!  x

• Posted

How many nights were you in hospital and any tips on what to take? x
    • Posted

I had the op on Friday afternoon (3.30, last one in, nil by mouth - MURDER!!!) This was made even more difficult, as the lady next to me had decided to buy the entire contents of M&S - all I could hear was chomping on crisps and sandwiches!!  Came out Monday afternoon.  You'll take little baby steps at first, just don't rush it.  I took loads of good comedy with me on my Ipad - so long as I could keep laughing, everything was ok!  I lay there and imagined myself fitting into all my old clothes again, that helped too x
    • Posted

Hi I have had my myomectomy!! Was in a lot of pain for the first few days and felt extremely sick but 1 week on and walking around the house. Even managed to pop out yesterday to the post box! Just wanted to ask a few questions, hope that's ok? I removed my dressing today and the scar is quite bruised and raised, was yours like this? Also is your stomach still swollen? Mine is .... 
    • Posted

That's brilliant!!  You can ask me anything, I don't mind wink

Yes, mine was raised (actually, mine got infected last week!) if yours does, don't worry, its easily cleared up with tablets.

Yes, stomach is swollen still - just a waiting game.  Even I'm getting fed up with the wait!  But, been told it will go in a few months.

And yes, scar was raised and bruised.  I think its pretty normal too.  Keep an eye on it.  If it starts to smell a bit (you'll know!) then its just antibiotics for a week wink

I'm so pleased you're doing well x

• Posted

Oh poor you! Glad the infection has cleared up. I have kept my dressing on as they were not really clear in the hospital as when to take it off!

Yes I'm impatient too, just thought as fibroids were gone so would the belly. Thanks for letting me know about the healing process 😄

• Posted

Oh no - I've been told it could take another few months!  I'm still pretty numb down there, so I guess its whenever the nerves come back, so does the natural shape and muscle tone.

Yeah, nasty infection all gone now (they took my dressing off straight away in hospital, which I never thought was a good thing!)

You're welcome, anytime.  It sounds like you're doing really well - good on you smile x

• Posted

Great to hear you are recovering fast. Get well soon. xxx
  • Posted

Thanks I needed that, had mine 5 days ago and I'm suffering with belching and flatulence. Today was the first day I could eat anything other than ice and jello. So I guess my bowels are still in a bit of shock. They also gave me a peppermint cocktail, i'm in South Africa. :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.