Nail deformition and weakness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Could you help me with this problem which started 5 or 6 years ago. My nails on my left hand (except the thumb) is extremely weak and it doesn’t grow in the middle just at the corner and I can remove them with my bare hands. I am not biting them. I’m not sure if it is importan or relevanr but I’ve been doing horse riding for 7 years and recently I started to play the violin (I think the latter doesn’t really affect my nail’s condition). I tried everything, I went to the doctor but she didn’t tell me anything useful and I also tried out so many nail polish which are supposed to strenghten you nail. Please if you know anything about it let me know.

Thank you

Ps.: English is not my first language

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Good morning , sounds as if you've have physical trauma to your nail - maybe hurt it in the past and it's now causing the nail to grow wrongly ?  To strength nails themselves try eating gelatine - even a small cube of  fruit flavoured  jelly every day  works well. I live in Scotland so don't know if you have jelly for a pudding where you are - I hope so ! 

• Posted

Thanks for your answer and I can’t recall any physical trauma. I had two surgeries during this period of time but I think it doesn’t affect my nails does it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.