31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi,have just been reading about your thoughts on Selincro - I went to my GP who thought it would be ideal for me but when she went to do prescription an alert came up and she needed to speak to the other docs first but I was declined even though I have been going to Project 6 alcohol and drug counselling for the last 2 months. My husband has looked into buying them online for me as last night I was so drunk I was suicidal and got a pile of drugs ready to take when my husband went to sleep,but he found them first,I still need a prescription to buy them but if that is the only option I have no choice.
    • Posted

Hello June,

First of all, there WILL be an answer so don't think about harming yourself. It's just a case of finding the answer.

Someone here said, a few days ago, that they had managed to get their GP to write a private prescription (which means that they have to pay the full cost of the tablets). If you were able to get the GP to do that, then you could walk into any pharmacy and get the tablets.

I would take great care looking at buying any sort of drug online because you can never be sure what you are buying.

It makes me so angry that GPs are restricted in their prescribing by what appears to be some directive from above that Nalmefene is too expensive.

• Posted

Hi,  

Was looking for discussions on Nalmefene as about to begin a course and came across this.  I went to my docs twice about being prescribed this.  First time, I felt very disappointed, the Doc was helpful but offered counselling first.  The second time, I went 'armed' with the information as to why I should be prescribed it.  I explained that in my case it was a 'bad habit'  I mentioned that I realised I needed couselling alongside the drug and would do this myself privately - rightly or wrongly, I won't because I know why I drink.  The Doc looked at criteria having read that it was suitable for females who drank only half a bottle of wine.  I explained that due to my height and weight, those 6 units on a ten st woman would be similar to my 15 units on a 16st female.  He was great - he wouldn't prescribe on NHS, it is a private prescription which cost £63 for 14 tablets.  I think the key is to go armned with the information and be willing to pay privately and suggest that you will pay for a private prescription if Doc refuses, also that you will seek counselling.  My Doc also said that come April 2015 when the new budget is out, they may have a clearer idea of who they can prescirbe it to on NHS.  

• Posted

I agree with you entirely Elsie. It shouldn't be like this but, unfortunately, it is.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.